New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 to 284?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it possible to rechamber a model 7, 260 to accept the 284 cartridge and what is involved.

Posts: 30 | Location: close | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PS:
Is it possible to rechamber a model 7, 260 to accept the 284 cartridge and what is involved.

Not possible to rechamber. You'll have to get the larger caliber barrel.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS

No it is not possible to rechamber it to 284 without changing barrels but you should be able to rechamber it to 6.5-284 but you should talk this over with an armourer or gunsmith.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
If you did this, you would have to neck down the .284 into a 6.5X284, a cartridge that is already being produced by Norma. The other alternatives are to get a .284" barrel to chamber to .284, OR have your current barrel rebored from .264" to .284" and rerifled.

one of us
posted Hide Post
you would need a rebarrel. maybe a little rail work. mine needed help there but some say no problem. also, if you are interested in shooting up to 140's you will be ok. if you want larger bullets you would be better off with a 280. the big ones dont fit in the magazine. much less money out of your pocket for the 280 and same performance.
otherwise enjoy. mine shot great. in a moment of stupidity i sold it to a friend. now he wont give it back.
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woofer:
you would need a rebarrel. maybe a little rail work. mine needed help there but some say no problem. also, if you are interested in shooting up to 140's you will be ok. if you want larger bullets you would be better off with a 280. the big ones dont fit in the magazine. much less money out of your pocket for the 280 and same performance.
otherwise enjoy. mine shot great. in a moment of stupidity i sold it to a friend. now he wont give it back.
woofer

How deep would you have him seat bullets in his SA'd 280 [Smile]

How would rebarrelling to a 280 in a short action be much less expensive than 284?

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry fellas but I made a bit of a stuff up, I actually ment rechambering to a 6.5x284.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I had assumed PS. I have personally had a 260 Rem 700 rechambered 6.5-284. Now for the downside, the 2.8 magazine size of the short 700 (the model 7 is the same) is just a tad to short for the 6.5-284 when loaded with heavy bullets, but since the Model 7 has a factory twist rate of 1in9" then you don't really want to be shooting heavy bullets anyways. The highest I would go is 120grn, which should be able to fit the mag with minimal loss of powder space.
The second problem, the chamber specs, 6.5-284 Win or 6.5-284 Norma. There is a differance, I had a Win chamber and I could not use the Norma brass, so I would suggest you get rid of that headache and use the Norma chamber and the good supply of Norma brass.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I beg to differ on the 1 in 9 twist not being suitable for the 6.5x284. While my 6.5x284 does sport a 1 in 8.6" twist barrel, it also stabilizes the SMK 142 grain bullets very nicely at velocities as low as 2700 fps.Of course, your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't discount the stock Remmy barrel out of hand.

I would seriously consider the use of an extended magazine if you were to use the 140 grain bullets. With a bit of machining, I believe you can extend the magazine to 3.0"

And yes, you could probably get someone to rechamber your existing barrel. But for the time and money involved, you might be better off just having a completely new custom barrel installed.

Regards,
Scott

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DanD thats a bummer I was hoping to use 140 grainers on some large reds over in NZ. Would it be be possible to lengthen the mag or is it the action size that dictates it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
wally, i meant buy a 280 for the same price as a rebarrel.
if you go with a 700 short your modify the magazine out to 3.0" or 3.1" for your 142's. your kinda stuck with the 7 at 2.8".
i am sure you could find someone with a 260 mountain rifle for sale in 260. it would make your life easier in the end.
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if you can lengthen the magazine on the Model 7. What I am sure about is that your factory rate of twist is not enough to stabalize the 140+grn bullets for long range shooting. Of course if this is just a hunting rifle, long range is not a problem.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DanD- I've gotta agree with scott T on this one. I've got two 6.5X.284's with 1-9" twists, my bullets of choice are the 140 gr. A-max and 141 gr. GTB's. They stabilize just fine.
Now if the Remington 1-9" isn't really 1-9", say a little slower, then you may have some issues. My real concern would be the barrel length, probably too short to get the best velocity for long range shooting from this round (if that's even the intended purpose). My barrels are both 30" and getting over 3000 fps is not a problem.

[ 07-23-2003, 12:37: Message edited by: rduncan ]

Posts: 57 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 26 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am just using personal experience, my factory barrel key holed at 600yards with 142grn SMKs. It could have been the barrel length or just the over all quality of the Remington barrel, but I think it was probably the slow twist rate. After changing over to a Light Target 28in Krieger 1in8.5 I had absolutely no problems with the 142 SMKs and the long 140grn Barnes Xs.
Of course one will never know how a particualr rifle will shoot a particualr bullet until you try it.