THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Weatherby Ultra Light...been a real "Pain"....help!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Ultra Light...been a real "Pain"....help!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have experience with the gray stocked weatherby Ultralight in 300 wby? Its one of the first ones that were made in the U.S. about 8 years ago. I know of about 4 others in our small town and none of them shot and have been sold off or sent to the closet corner to collect dust. I'm not a gunsmith but my local guy is good and he's lapped and re-crowned the barrel and worked in the bolt lugs.
No matter what I feed this gun it does consistant 5 shot groups of about 5" at 200 yds. (no distinctive patterns like stringing.) I should have sent it back to weatherby right away but I had some scope issues and blamed the problem on that. I have several scopes on it, it's been in and out of the action a few times and properly torqued, the scope mounts are not the problem. ANY ideas would be appreciated.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK--I just tried something on a whim and you guys will probably laugh. Have you ever seen the soft rubber mesh that's to be used to line kithen drawers to keep things from sliding? I just cut a couple of strips and laid them in the barrel channel to create somewhat of a snug fit from the begining of the barrel to the end of the stock. I put it back together and there's no more "flexing" of the stock. I suppose this is stupid but I'll bet it doesn't shoot any worse. I also changed scopes one more time to a Leo that's been great on every gun I own. I also went through my ammo and changed all seating depths about .050" deeper.
Will give all this a try....any other experiences or suggestions please??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one in 300 wby, got it for christmas 7-8 yrs back. Mine shoots great, never been bedded, did a trigger job and thats it. I've used it from Africa to Alaska. Mines not a good 5 shot gun cause of the skinny barrel, but it still keeps the thrid one somewhere around moa. I've cut the same hole many times.

First thing I would do is make sure its not copper fouled, bed it with p/point and see how it shoots 3 shot groups at 100 yds not 5 shot at 200 to see what you got. Then if it still doesnt shoot sell it to me real cheap Smiler, what cal is it.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend who's somewhat handy around rifles pointed out to me that these seem to come with somewhat of a pressure point at the end of the barrel channel from the factory and it's hard to drag a piece of paper past there but then it gets loose as you go towards the action. On aonther forum two guys said build up the pressure point some more and there will be a sweetspot. Also they concurred with the idea of not shooting too many shots at one time and I guess I'll have to back off but I've been shooting in 40 degree weather and it's not getting too hot....I rarely pull the trigger 5 times without a cooldown in between. I think I have some good advice here. If anyone else can think of something I'll sure listen to more ideas. I know of other ultralights that shoot but not any 300 wby....I've heard the 257 is usually really good.