Find
Notify
Tools

Hogue stocks and recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I was wondering how well the pillar bedded version of the Hogue stock stands up to recoil. Would it handle something like a 375 BrownWhelen? I would glass bed the action. Just don't want to crack a stock.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
I have a pillar bedded Hogue on my custom stainless Ruger .35 Whelen. I find it handles recoil very well and has a nice soft recoil pad. Recoil is really not bad at all even with full power 250gr loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I was wondering how well the pillar bedded version of the Hogue stock stands up to recoil. Would it handle something like a 375 BrownWhelen? I would glass bed the action. Just don't want to crack a stock.

Works just fine on a 376 Steyr & a 375H&H Imp Wink

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
They handle recoil just fine although the shape of the stock really sucks. Their design team must have come up with that shape on a monday or friday! Needs a much more open grip for starters.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Needs a much more open grip for starters

I agree with that 110% thumb Thanks for your imput. I will proceed with no fear. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be different, weird whatever. I like the way the Hogue stock fits. I have one on a 10-22 and I liked that one so much I put one on a custom mauser 98 in 338 win. The recoil is very manageable. I have shot 06's that kicked a lot worse. I like the grip the rubber has as well. I guess its just a matter of taste. The folks in the Alaka forum like the Ruger Alaskan with the Hogue stock.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
I must be different, weird whatever. I like the way the Hogue stock fits. I have one on a 10-22 and I liked that one so much I put one on a custom mauser 98 in 338 win. The recoil is very manageable. I have shot 06's that kicked a lot worse. I like the grip the rubber has as well. I guess its just a matter of taste. The folks in the Alaka forum like the Ruger Alaskan with the Hogue stock.

Mine fit me just fine Wink

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I like their stocks performance fine. I just detest that damn tight grip & the flare at the bottom.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use them on my 338 Win Mag and a couple 300 Win Mags and they work great.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote