Find
Notify
Tools

Opening up Bolt face?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted
How much does opening up a boltface from say .222 to .243 on a Rem 722 action typically cost? Can the same extractor be used or would i need a new extractor like the Sako style installed?

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't use the original extractor, they are different sizes of cartridge head.

I would do a remachining of the bolt face and add a Sako exrractor for $165 plus return shipping.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I'm just tossing around rebarreling a 722 in .222 and just getting an idea of what i'm looking at. I'm thinking a shilen barrel maybe in .243. I was told a Rem 700 SA bolt will fit right in the 722 reciever? Any knowledge of this? Then if I rebarrel the headspace can be set? I have already ordered a 700 BDL stock, looking at BDL bottom metal with hinged floor plate and i'd need a new follower and spring and maybe a timney rem 700 trigger. I have saw the 3 position safety made by Gentry and would like to install that if it is reliable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a 222 is hard to get, you could rebarrel and make a 223. Very good cartridge. A new barrel and true up the reciever and bolt, it would be a shooter.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that as well and sure would be an easier job, well sort of. Actually the .222 shoots good still and i do reload, but finding .222 ammo at the store is about non existant around here. Add that to the itch i have to build a rifle my daughter can also shoot. All i saw on the shelves was .223. Not a single box of .222 to be had.Plus the current barrel is 26" and 1-14" twist. If i wanna use anything heavier than a 50grn pill they recommend a 1-10" or 1-9" twist.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Might be a little involved but you can take .223 cases and form/trim them to .222 dimensions easily and cheaply.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is probably somebody out there who would trade you a 700 BDL in .243 for your 722 in .222.

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by papapaul:
There is probably somebody out there who would trade you a 700 BDL in .243 for your 722 in .222.

This was my grandfathers gun and i'm not interested in trading. I just wanna make it shoot better or rebarrel. I'm still knocking it around.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Go with a new 1-8 twist .224 barrel, have it chambered in .223, and you can shoot up to 75 gr bullets. That said the 53gr tsx will be an ideal deer bullet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Go with a new 1-8 twist .224 barrel, have it chambered in .223, and you can shoot up to 75 gr bullets. That said the 53gr tsx will be an ideal deer bullet.

Thats exactly what i was thinking! tu2 I will shoot this once in a while, but mostly my daughter will be shooting it and she is recoil sensative. It currently has a 26" stick but i may go to a 24". That also saves me the bolt face issue.