Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 Pillar Length
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted
Im about to start a bedding job on my rem 700 s/a and im going to make and install pillars too. Is there a standard length to which rem 700 pillars should be made or is it entirely dependant on the stock used? It Is a bdl by the way with a standard floorplate system.

I have done a few bedding jobs before and I am confident doing it, the more you do the more you learn hey and the neater they get, and yes, i know i need to oversize the bolt holes slightly to make sure the bolts dont touch the inside of the pillars, A friend of mine able to offer me some lathe time so im looking forward to making them.

Many Thanks

Chris

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
There is no set length. It is dependent on the particular stock. Remember, metal to metal.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
OK thanks.

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
When I make mine I make them long. I have a carbide core box cutter that is the same radius as the Remington. I cut the radius and screw them to the receiver and glue it in. After it has set up, I turn the stock upside down and spotface flush and cut a countersink. I did make some screws with oversize body to hold the pillers on and that allows the action screws not to touch the pillers when all is done.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Parkin:
Im about to start a bedding job on my rem 700 s/a and im going to make and install pillars too. Is there a standard length to which rem 700 pillars should be made or is it entirely dependant on the stock used? It Is a bdl by the way with a standard floorplate system.

I have done a few bedding jobs before and I am confident doing it, the more you do the more you learn hey and the neater they get, and yes, i know i need to oversize the bolt holes slightly to make sure the bolts dont touch the inside of the pillars, A friend of mine able to offer me some lathe time so im looking forward to making them.

Many Thanks

Chris

I have a piloted counterbore. I use it to bore the hole for the pillars. The pilot keeps the hole centered.

Once I set the (longer than neccessary) pillars in Acraglas while the action is clamped into the stock, I use the counterbore to trim them to length so that the bottom metal is flush.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote