New
Find
Notify
Tools

A-Bolt Disassembly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My owner's manual says don't do it. I can't find a tool for doing it in Brownell's or Midway's catalog. I'm thinking maybe after 5000 rounds, it's time to do it.

Does anyone here know how the bolt on a Browning A-Bolt is disassembled?

I'll likely end up sending it to Browning for stripping and PM (no malfunctions yet), but it seems as if it should be doable. I'd appreciate your help talking me out of it or providing instructions.

Thanks

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
The Browning Gun Parts List: http://www.browning.com/services/gunpartsprices/gunpartsprice.htm
has an exploded diagram of the rifle, perhaps that will help.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Henry,

I will try. Remove the bolt and look at the bottom side of the bolt shroud where the cocking piece is located. Look into the shroud past the cocking piece and you will see a roll type cross pin holding the firing pin and the cocking piece together.

Rotate the bolt shroud forward a little to move the cocking piece out of it's notch. This will help give you better access for the next part of the job.

To disassemble the bolt, you need to unscrew the shroud from the bolt like you would most bolts EXCEPT, there are no provisions on the A-Bolt, to hold the cocking piece to the rear while you unscrew the unit.

You could place the cocking piece in a vise and pull it back while unscrewing the two, but that is a pain in the a$$.

So, you will need to fashion something that you can slip in past the cocking piece, that will fit under the cross pin and sit on the shroud's collar, to hold the cross pin and cocking piece to the rear, while you unscrew it.

I just use a scrap piece of steel about .050 thick and about .450 in length to slide in and hold it into position while I unscrew the shroud.

Once you get the shroud off, you will be able to see how the firing pin is held in position in the shroud by it's spring and collar. The rest of the disassembly is straight forward.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, you will need to fashion something that you can slip in past the cocking piece, that will fit under the cross pin and sit on the shroud's collar, to hold the cross pin and cocking piece to the rear, while you unscrew it.

I just use a scrap piece of steel about .050 thick and about .450 in length to slide in and hold it into position while I unscrew the shroud.

Exactly. I used a piece of 44 Rem Mag brass smashed down flat on the mouth end. It worked, but wouldn't last more than a couple times.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Keep shooting it...it will disassemble on its own.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<30.06 abolt>
posted
I have an older abolt not the abolt II, in the cocking piece there is a hole, get a roll pin punch insert it into the hole, and take your thumb and push against the shroud on the bolt (pull the cocking piece back) and unscrew it. After a few turn you won't need to hold the cocking piece. If you want to go farther you need to drive the roll pin out of the cocking piece, it holds the firing pin in place. Hope this helps.