Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinishing a checkered stock?
 Login/Join

posted
Need some tips on refinishing a checkered walnut stock for a Remington Model 7. I have sanded the uncheckered areas, but have not touched the checkered areas. I want to go back with an oil finish. I bought this stock from Numrich, UPS left it on my porch & my wife's basset pup promptly chewed through the box and left teeth marks in the stock. I managed to sand them all out and now need to put some finish back on it.

Posts: 3 | Location: Claremore, OK | Registered: 13 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally use a chemical stripping agent on the checkered areas, and definately don't sand them. When applying the finish, I will cover the checkered areas with tape that is cut to cover the areas exactly. Apply all except the last finishing coats to all the other areas, then uncover the checkering and carefully clean the left over adhesive out with acetone and the back side of a hobby knife. Then apply the final finishing coat to the whole stock, including the checkering.

It is just the way that seems to work for me, but be very careful with the hobby knife, not to get out of the checkering, or jump the lines. Be sure to use only the back side of it.

Best wishes

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot the dog.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote