THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    SFS (Safety Fast Shooting) device for Colt pistols

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SFS (Safety Fast Shooting) device for Colt pistols
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just released at HLebooks.com, a new downloadable ebook on the SFS (Safety Fast Shooting) device intended to the Colt pistols of the "Government" class.

The downlaod page is here: http://hlebooks.com/ebook/sfscolten.htm

An Android version is also available : https://play.google.com/store/...m.hlebooks.sfscolten

Many other ebooks on various firearms are available here: http://hlebooks.com/

Content of this publication
Presentation of the SFS system
- SFS (Safety Fast Shooting) system by Leon Hubert
- SFS system intended to the FN HP35 pistol
- SFS system intended to the Colt pistols of the "Government" type
- Nomenclature of the SFS parts
Components of the SFS system for the Colt pistols (1)
- The SFS cocking lever detailed
- Specificities of the SFS hammer
- SFS hammer reassembly procedure
Components of the SFS system for the Colt pistols (2)
- The SFS holdopen latch
- The SFS main spring
- The SFS cocking lever spring
- The ambidextrous magazine catch
- The SFS firing pin safety levers
- Faster lifting of the firing pin safety by the SFS levers
Preparation of the Colt 1911A1 to receive the SFS kit
- Field dismounting of the pistol
Installation of the SFS system in the Colt 1911A1 (1)
- Replacement of the mainspring
- Replacement of the safety lever spring
- Attachment of the two plungers to the new spring
- Replacement of the firing pin safety actuating levers
Installation of the SFS system in the Colt 1911A1 (2)
- Dismounting of the standard manual safety
- Dismounting of the standard hammer
- Installation of the SFS hammer
Installation of the SFS system in the Colt 1911A1 (3)
- Installation of the SFS cocking lever
- Locking pin that secures the left cocking lever
- Reinstallation of the mainspring housing
- Reinstallation of the slide with the new dismounting key
- Post reassembly dry testing of the SFS device
Functioning of the SFS system for Colt pistol (1)
- Basic functioning of the SFS hammer body
- Purpose of the hammer ring
- Rotation of the hammer on the ring
- The return spring and the hammer drop safety
Functioning of the SFS system for Colt pistol (2)
- Functioning of the cocking lever

Ebook screen prints

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I have only been carrying and shooting a 1911 Government Model for about 45 years so this is just my opinion based on my experience.

The 1911 as was first intended, was a simple and reliable handgun. Regardless of how interesting this system is, it simply adds more parts and pieces and more chances for something to get screwed up.

Now, with very few exceptions, I have always carried my 1911 in Condition 1. For all of you that believe that is unsafe, so be it. I follow the procedure of keeping my finger off the trigger and the safety on until I am on target. Seems to me that it works just fine that way.

To paraphrase Jeff Cooper, it appears to be a clever solution to a nonexistent problem.

As Ramrod would say, "Just my 2 cents."

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
I have only been carrying and shooting a 1911 Government Model for about 45 years so this is just my opinion based on my experience.

The 1911 as was first intended, was a simple and reliable handgun. Regardless of how interesting this system is, it simply adds more parts and pieces and more chances for something to get screwed up.

Now, with very few exceptions, I have always carried my 1911 in Condition 1. For all of you that believe that is unsafe, so be it. I follow the procedure of keeping my finger off the trigger and the safety on until I am on target. Seems to me that it works just fine that way.

To paraphrase Jeff Cooper, it appears to be a clever solution to a nonexistent problem.

As Ramrod would say, "Just my 2 cents."

^ yeah, that! ^ archer

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
All this does is put the hammer into a sort of half-cock and then cocks the hammer when you depress the safety. After it is installed you load the pistol in the usually way and then you use your supporting hand to press the hammer forward. You still end up carrying a round in the chamber.

Let's see:

• Without the SFS the cocked and loaded pistol will fire if the grip safety is depressed, the safety lever is lowered, and the trigger is pulled.
  • With the SFS the "half-cocked" and loaded pistol will fire if the grip safety is depressed, the safety lever is lowered, and the trigger is pulled.

How is it safer if it fires the same way with or without it? Why would I want to add a contraption that unnecessarily complicates the mechanism and requires two hands to put the pistol on safe?

•  
    Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Toomany Tools
    posted Hide Post
    IMO, it's all crap. There's not a thing wrong with the original design.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Bought a Browning with that system a few years ago. Absolute crap.

Anyone that does that to a 1911 needs to have their fingers broke!

(Kidding!)

Sorta.

Posts: 555 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    How to screw up a good thing.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    If one wants a double action auto for safety there are plenty of good ones out there.

There is nothing special about the 1911 design that is improved by making it double action.

I carry my 1911 cocked and locked with a round in the chamber. Same with my Browning Hi-power MAB PA-15 and Star Supers.

The only auto I don't carry with a round in the chamber is a Jennings 22 but that is used only to shoot trapped or caught critters at real close range.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    As a follower of "simple is better", I applaud the comments I've seen here...too many solutions in search of a problem

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    To try and quote the great Forrest Gump, "Mama always said, stupid is as stupid does."

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote