AMERICAN RIFLE COMPANY MAUSINGFIELD BOLT ACTION
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Anybody handle or seen one of these.

What were your impressions?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't have one but I would like to slap whomever named it up side the head. Dumb name.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I don't have one but I would like to slap whomever named it up side the head. Dumb name.

popcorn
But they utilize the hare-brained bolt lugs and the pawn bolt knob, Tom !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well, if I get one I am sure I would fark up the self build; then I will ship it to you and you can insist I pick it up in person and then you can slap me up side the head before you mill off the name and inscribe:

Remserspring

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More like Savington . Rings better

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

The name does tend to remind one of the stuff that Mom used to cobble together for supper from all of the leftovers in the re-fridge-im-in-ator, doesn't it?

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Well, you gotta admit, there is something for everyone in it! In a way, it makes sense from the standpoint of inexpensive aftermarket parts that are readily available, not quite sure it is my cup of tea but I commend them for thinking outside the box! Kind of reminds me of that old Johnny Cash song about the car built out of all different years of parts the Auto worker took out in his lunch box!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong; I am not criticizing the design at all. It is the name that makes me retch. The design is, a product of a lot of thought.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
AMERICAN RIFLE COMPANY MAUSINGFIELD BOLT ACTION

Well, here's the link: https://www.americanrifle.com/...ngfield-bolt-action/

I guess it was the only way they felt they could convey the parentage without violating trademarks. They probably could have done better!

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a field in germany so cats can catch mice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at them at the SHOT show a couple of years ago.

I think one can change out the bolt handle/ knobs or order what you want.

I handled it took bolt out ect. and talked to the inventor and owner for about an hour he seemed to have put a lot of thought into it.

I wouldn't be afraid of buying one and using it to build a rifle but.

The but part of that is does it do any thing I need better then any of my Ruger MKII or other commercial action.

Glad to see the innovation and a new manufacturer.

At 1600.00 just for an action I am not in the market this guy is trying to convince.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G&H uses that action to make their All American Rifle. I suppose that says something.

They don't change out the bolt handle, though, and that makes me sad. Especially when it is near really nice walnut.

http://griffinhowe.com/the-all-american-rifle/

Without any hands on experience, I am otherwise just a spectator in this thread. I too have a hard time paying more than double what I can get another CRF action for. Not sure it offers a substantial leap forward.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have LRI inc. do the work to make it into a rifle. They have the most experience of anyone working with the action. The action is placing high up in the precision Rifle Competition Series.
www.longriflesinc.com

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Name aside,its great to see this being all American in today climate with firearms manufacture. The price may modify when units sell. Good on them. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could be the best receiver ever produced, but it is so butt ugly I just wouldn't have it at any price.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He, He, He. It's built for go, not show.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
He, He, He. It's built for go, not show.

Just like an old rifle. I bet it only goes across soil if they lay a carpet path for it.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i helped the owner rebuild this when we were in Medical School together. We made book and tuition money clearing snow with extra weights up front, split wood with the pto system, drilled fence post holes (in a straight line), plowed large gardens for people from the old country in Springfield, Illinois, Mowed a ten acre field in the summer for good money. Alan became a hand surgeon in West by God Virginia, and bought four hundred acres of mixed hardwoods and flat farming acreage. He got new/used john Deere with greater capacity. Just like hiring a good gunsmith, he hired a cracker-jack mechanic to replace the worn parts, tune everything, and give it the powder coat, decal, and matching paint treatment. he keeps that, and his old Power Wagon to remind himself of all the hard work that got him where he is now. We took turns pushing snow all night, went into class in the morning, and got back at it in the late afternoon. He and I both left our respective homes around our sixteenth birthdays, and pulled ourselves up by our own bootstraps. That made us both much better doctors than the kids who went straight through college, and then medical school without turning their hand to manual labor. We had a chance to dig trenches for sewer lines with a backhoe on the weekends. learned about precision that way..

Another way to make room and board money...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i helped the owner rebuild this when we were in Medical School together. We made book and tuition money clearing snow with extra weights up front, split wood with the pto system, drilled fence post holes (in a straight line), plowed large gardens for people from the old country in Springfield, Illinois, Mowed a ten acre field in the summer for good money. Alan became a hand surgeon in West by God Virginia, and bought four hundred acres of mixed hardwoods and flat farming acreage. He got new/used john Deere with greater capacity. Just like hiring a good gunsmith, he hired a cracker-jack mechanic to replace the worn parts, tune everything, and give it the powder coat, decal, and matching paint treatment. he keeps that, and his old Power Wagon to remind himself of all the hard work that got him where he is now. We took turns pushing snow all night, went into class in the morning, and got back at it in the late afternoon. He and I both left our respective homes around our sixteenth birthdays, and pulled ourselves up by our own bootstraps. That made us both much better doctors than the kids who went straight through college, and then medical school without turning their hand to manual labor. We had a chance to dig trenches for sewer lines with a backhoe on the weekends. learned about precision that way..

West Virginia is beautiful, but visiting my Grandson at West Virginia Univ., I found that every where you walked is uphill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:

West Virginia is beautiful, but visiting my Grandson at West Virginia Univ., I found that every where you walked is uphill.

how bout on the way back?? Big Grin

Posts: 1546 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am from WV; it is up hill in all directions. A geography/topography lesson; all the rivers there run North and West as WV is on the West side of the Allegheny Mountains (part of the Appalachians). Short A; anyone who pronounces it with a long A is not correct. So, when you travel out of WV (you can't go East; the mountains block travel in that direction; ok, they did build one road across the New River Gorge into Virginia); traveling West you are constantly dropping in elevation, towards the Ohio River (which West Virginia owns; sorry Ohio), but you are constantly going up hill to get there.
What has this got to do with that awkwardly named action? Nothing. I didn't start it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:
quote:

how bout on the way back?? Big Grin

I guess I never found my way back as I never walked down hill. The asphalt sidewalk around the stadium ain't level either. One side is 3" lower. You needed a long leg on the outside of the sidewalk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The name is ugly but not as ugly as the action.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

popcorn

It only seems like you're going up-hill all the time because the evil monster that lives in the kitchen and hides your corn squeezins shortened the legs on your walker so you couldn't wander to far from home. Adjust the feets back out about 6 inches and you'll be looking toward the horizon again Pawpa ! he he he

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much true.