New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pachmayr Lo-Swing mount disappointment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After months of cruising ebay I finally found a pachmayr lo-swing mount with rings. It fit perfectly on my rifle. I cannot get the rings to work with the mount. The rings go on, and I put the little post through the loop tension spring that is supposed to hold the rings in the closed position. I cannot get the loop spring to tension the rings closed. I open and shut the rings a few times and the whole thing goes out of whack.

Is there any trick to getting this thing to work? Or should I go back to the Talleys?

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's a side mount then you gotta mount it on the rifle first. The spring holds the mount down on the receiver ring so that the little post you see can act as a stop when it bottoms out on top of the receiver. If it's a top mount then I don't know 'cause I've never used their top mount.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a set screw that protrudes for the bottom of the top portion. This stops the mount in a positive place. Is it there?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I screwed the set screw in as per the instructions, but there is still a little left to right wiggle. Is the post supposed to be inside the spring loop?

BTW it is a top mount.

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pevtsovy:
I screwed the set screw in as per the instructions, but there is still a little left to right wiggle. Is the post supposed to be inside the spring loop?

BTW it is a top mount.

If I remember correctly, that little hook-like springy thingy is supposed to snap over the pin to hold it down. And, the screws in the base that control the pivot, need to be tightened a bit to eliminate wobble. I hope I am but it has been quite a while since I saw one of these; my dad loved them.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my side mount, the spring loop's position is adjustable.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is that the spring loop is fastened to a ring that goes around the pivot of the base. You are supposed to set the spring loop into position to hold the the scope closed and then scre down the set screw. The set screw does not have enough "bite" to keep the ring from rotating around the pivot for very long. Sooner or later the whole thing goes out of whack.