New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil stay for scope mount?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My gun-smith has recommended that I let him install a low (~1/8 inch) stay/block on the front of the receiver. This will act as a support for the forward Warne ring, which will be mounted behind and flush to the stay, and make the mount more "recoil-proof". He showed me an example and it was very well made and looked good.

Have any of you tried or heard about something like this?

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Never saw one. Do you have any photos you could post?

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a picture but I will try to describe it to you a bit better:

Imagine that you soldered part of a scope mount's steel base to the front edge of the receiver's groove. This piece would be approximately 1/2 inch long and of full width. The piece would then be smoothed, blued and made to look almost like a part of the original receiver. The piece acts like a stop for the front scope mount, that is the mount can't slide forwards. (The back mount already has a stop built into the receiver). The 'smith only leaves enough room on the receiver for my Warne mount so it's a snug fit.

posted Hide Post
Wachtel,

What rifle are you fitting the Warnes too?

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wachtel:
My gun-smith has recommended that I let him install a low (~1/8 inch) stay/block on the front of the receiver. This will act as a support for the forward Warne ring, which will be mounted behind and flush to the stay, and make the mount more "recoil-proof". He showed me an example and it was very well made and looked good.

Have any of you tried or heard about something like this?

Is this on a CZ????

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a CZ 550 Magnum in 375 H&H. The scope(s) are/will be one 1-4x20 Leupold and one 3-9x40 or 3-9x50 Leupold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wachtel:
The rifle is a CZ 550 Magnum in 375 H&H. The scope(s) are/will be one 1-4x20 Leupold and one 3-9x40 or 3-9x50 Leupold.

The smaller 1x4x20 will stay in its mounts a lot easier than the heavier 3x9's & on the CZ550 the 1x4 probably doesn't need the extra stay in front!
good luck!!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another reason I made the move from Warne to Talleys! A change I have never regretted.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote