New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester model 70 featherweight follower
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a new follower for a Winchester model 70 featherweight that is chambered in 300 win mag.
I removed the magazine spacer and now need a longer magazine follower.
I made one from a heavy piece of plastic to use for now.
But the bolt doesn't like picking up the last round as good as it should.
I did shorten the bolt stop also. Would think a follower for the .375 would fit nicely.
Any thoughts out there?
Thanks

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're on the right track. Going to the longer 375 follower should do it.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I thought so but wasn't absolutely sure.
Now if I can find one, all will be well again.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What caliber was it to start with? If it was a standard caliber then you need to modify your mag box, or get a magnum one. Length of follower I have not found to be that important. Width, yes.

Posts: 17285 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I just converted a 270 to a 350 Rem Mag; widened the mag box lips but used the same follower. I opened up the receiver rails a bit to make the fatter rounds feed.
Instead of the follower, your issue is probably other things.
You can also use a Ruger 77 follower; those are easy to get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original follower is now around a half inch too short.
The one I fabbed up from thick plastic works ok, but the last round doesn't usually get picked up by the bolt without reaching in and assisting.
I think my fabbed piece isn't shaped at just the right angle to raise the cartridge to the proper level.
Certainly doesn't need any widening of the mag box.

It seems the follower I need was used in the Safari grade rifles most often ,but not in the caliber I need very often. Wich is .375 magnum.
I haven't had any luck locating the part in stock anywhere as of yet. That's why I made one myself for use right now till I can.
I removed the spacer from the mag well to lengthen it. Now I can seat the bullets out as far as I need to get to the lands in the chamber.
This rifle is a super shooter with this set up. I just want to get the feeding reliable .
I may give it another go at making one with a steeper angle at the rear of the ramp.
I don't currently have any material thick enough to try it.
But the cost of the material wether it be plastic or aluminum, will cost about as much as just buying one as I can tell.
Most prices range around 20 bucks. But so far the parts have been out of stock for some time now.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
My Model 70 375 H&H wouldn't feed with the factory aluminum follower.

I replaced it with this one and after a little material removal on one of the sides it worked great.

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...?avs%7cMake_3=Mauser

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The follower on my Model 70 Classic in .300 Win Mag is 3.30 in length at its longest point. On the corners its about 3.290.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes a standard follower for the model 70 in .300 win mag is 3.30 ,and my rifle has an original follower measurement of 3.289.
Now need a follower around 3.682-3.790 to fit the mag box I have modified.
Thanks for the link for the steel Mauser follower. It appears it is in stock. I may go that route if I can't find a more affordable alluminum follower.

I wasn't aware a Mauser follower could be used in the model 70.
Thank you for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does look like Midway, Brownells lists alluminum followers for the post 64 model 70 for in between 20.00 and 24.00 ,but they are not only out of stock, some of the parts listed in my old catalogs are now discontinued.

Mr. Evens, if that Mauser 98 foller worked for your rifle, then that may be my best option.
I thank you again for posting the information and the link
Congrats on that great African hunt too!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I routinely remove the spacers from M70 mag boxes and almost never replace the follower. I use 7mm mag followers for 375s for example, and other alterations. That is usually not the problem. If the spring is not raising the base of the cartridge enough, adding follower length does not always help. Check the spring angles and the mag box lips where you removed the spacer from.
The Mauser mag follower is only 3.38 long; barely longer than your factory one.
Not saying it won't correct your issue; making rifles feed is not a science.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
My Model 70 375 H&H wouldn't feed with the factory aluminum follower.

I replaced it with this one and after a little material removal on one of the sides it worked great.

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...?avs%7cMake_3=Mauser

Same here, but I used an older 375 length model 70 follower. Fitted and it worked perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 416 Remington built on a Model 70 338 action. While I tried different Winchester followers, it feeds best with a modified Remington 700 steel follower.

Posts: 554 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no way I would go through the trouble of lengthening the mag well and then slap it back together with a follower that slides back and forth over 3/8 of an inch.
If some of you guys don't mind that then I'm happy for you .
I made one that fits pretty good ,but the ramp angle must be off. That is certainly what is causing the last round to not get picked up all the time. That happens on many rifles that have been converted from a meadium caliber like 30-06 to a magnum like the .300 win mag or 7mm rem. mag
The Mauser follower mentioned here is an over sized length for converting Mausers and other rifles to a magnum caliber.
I don't really consider myself a smith. But, I pride myself on doing as best a job as I can ,at whatever I do. A proper fit and finish is the only end result I will be happy with on my project or anyone elses project I work on.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Well, the Mauser (Wisner) 3.38 inches long, follower you are considering is still .410 inches short of your box length. So your own criteria is not met.
The shorter followers do not slide back and forth.
You do what you think best of course.
The ones I have done, feed well with the same followers. Model 70s and 700s converted to longer cartridges I mean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was this orginally a 300 Win Mag?...If so, you made your first mistake by removing the spacer and screwing around with the bolt stop

What was the problem (that maybe didn't need fixing)?

Posts: 3626 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the input from all interested in giving a helping hand.
But after reviewing my options it appears that I can't purchase a follower that will fit as well as I would like.
So I will buy some alluminum bar stock and will one out when I get the time.
This rifle shoots fantastic with the bullets seated out long on 180 and 220 grain pills. Just couldn't do that with the factory length mag box. Common issue for many rifles as most may know.
The gun feeds fine with the stock follower even after the spacer removal until the following sometimes slides forward as the last round is grabbed. Then it malfunctions.it rattles in the rifle as it is carried with an empty magazine also.
Not that overly difficult to Fab one up and I should have paid more attention to the feeding ramp profile on the part I made previously.
Since it will work fine with the stock follower until it get pushed too far forward, it obviously just needs a longer part with all else being the same.
I hoped I could just buy one that was for a longer caliber, but availability of what I need verses what is still out there to purchase off the shelf is in my favor.
That's just the nature of the beast when customizing anything.
Thanks again guys for the links, but it doesn't appear those parts are long enough for my application.
That's usually my luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should add that not only will my original follower slide forward, I really don't like the empty space left ,that could allow debree to get in the and cause a problem.

I guess most just don't care as much as I about attention to detail to let that empty space bother them. But it isn't functioning all the time like that for me, as I stated.
It does sometimes push forward.
I shoot this rifle quite a lot. So it is something that will need fixing for me. Untill then it works fine till the last round, and even then it will many times work fine.
Good to get input from different minds on a problem.
The ideas are helpful even if not for this situation.
So, maybe next time.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say also that the Remington follower is showing a length of 3 5/8". That is about the length I need.
Not sure if it would be able to fit the model 70 or not.
But unfortunately it seems that follower isn't in stock anywhere either.
Again thanks, but it's just my luck.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
With all due respect of course; if you envision your follower will push forward, think about how that could happen when it is already forward in it's designed position; you removed the spacer from the Rear. So your follower will always be forward in the box, where it started out life.
Yes, a good option for you is to make one.
I would look at the Ruger Mag follower if you want a long one. Ruger parts are easy to get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admitting I do not know how to machine or weld, it would seem to me that a solution to the problem would be to weld a piece of steel to the rear of the Winchester follower you already have and then mill it to conform to the rest of the follower. I am betting that many of the smiths who post here could do that without one even seeing where it was welded together.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Ruger suggestion . I know they have a long follower compared to many, but I have an old m77 tang safety model follower from a .270 and it seems to be pretty wide. Was afraid to drop cash on one for a magnum follower and it not be in the realm of modifiable.

If a person was to weld on to a follower to lengthen it, they would want to add onto the front not the back. The rear is where the magic happens to lift the cartridge up to the bolt face .
I don't have a tig machine to weld alluminum nor a milling machine.
My stock follower is alluminum. So I can't weld it .
I can weld stainless and steel with the three other welders I own. But shaping and finishing the steel part would be very labor intensive without a milling machine.
So I use a router and various bits to shape wood , plastic , and alluminum. Finishing is simple with sand paper and Scotch Brite pads.
That Remington follower looks like my only purchasable option for sure, but as I stated already, they are currently out of stock anywhere they are sold at a reasonable price .
I will wait a little longer to try and find one , but not much longer, as I want it ready for action in November.
I hunted with it last fall without any trouble.
But never needed to fire more than once at anything I fired at.
The plastic follower works fine for now for the first two rounds. I just shaped the ramp angle wrong and the cartridge is not sitting square in the shoot. So the bolt can't always get a piece of it ,and passes over it.
Thanks anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I’m jumping in late here, but I own both rifles you are talking about.
The mag boxes on both are MAGNUM length, the only difference being the bolt stop and follower length are different by no more than a 1/4”.
The MAGNUM length follower still doesn’t completely fill the mag box, this is where you are perceiving a problem that doesn’t exist.

On revised/reworked rifles, like the new Winchester rifles, you will note that the bolt no longer touches, or rides, on the follower like an original Mauser does. This is a good thing as there is PLENTY of space and angle to pop the last round up into the feed rails of the action. This is how it should be.
My old (90’s) Model 70 Classic Stainless in 375 Weatherby (factory barrel re-chambered) has the high sitting follower with minimal inlets for the cartridge, unlike the profile of today’s followers.
If you can source one of these, then you will solve your issue, but remember, the GAP is there for a REASON.

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
What is the over all length of your cartridges now?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5238 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go to Midwestgunparts web site and select Mod-70 followers you'll have plenty to choose from

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good report, 416, and true. I tried to say that the follower gap is not what is important but was shot down for that.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice.

https://www.midwestgunworks.co...agazine$2520Follower

quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
If you go to Midwestgunparts web site and select Mod-70 followers you'll have plenty to choose from

Posts: 5238 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The long belted magnums are discontinued, I've been looking for one too.

Greg

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After getting some info on another forum from some .300 ultra mag owners, it looks like the Remington 700 part for the ultra mag may fit with no modifications.
Those followers can be had used cheap.
The model 70 .300 ultra mag follower is available new but I can't seem to get the specifications from the distributor.
I'll post the results after I get something squared away.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Jeff. Does the bottom of the belt of that last round move behind the follower? Seems to be the issue. [i.e. sitting too low]. Thanks. I might learn something.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the one I fabbed up ,no.

On the original sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it is way behind on the original.
Maybe the belt adds enough height to make it work? I honestly can't be sure. But if the follower is even a little forward it would be behind the rear sloped part of the follower.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The COAL of the 180gr. I shoot are 3.480 and the 200s are around 3.556 .
I can go as long as 3.64 or so, and still cycle in the magazine well.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well Jeff,

Both the belt sitting low and/or the cartridge case sitting back further than normal seem to be the problem issues.

Try meeting in the middle.

You could always compromise and grind the spacer to about half its original depth and (using the original follower) hot glue the spacer in place to see if there is any improvement.
Some loss of OAL shouldn't affect your groups.

I'm not an expert (only fixed 3 feeding issues (out of 3 attempts), but based on what you told me so far I'm sure you just went a little too far.
P.S. Did some research this morning and the bolt stop may need to be built up back to normal. You'll know if you're headed in the right direction after you try the shorter spacer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the measurements I have gotten from some 700 owners that have a .300 ultra mag, I started looking for a follower for the Remington 700 in .300 ultra.
Went to an old gun shop I know used to do smith work years ago for a few competition shooters .
The guy rumished around for awhile after saying he remembers doing a conversion on a 700 into a single load bench gun.
He found it and it measures 3.634 long, width is .655-.797.
Got it for 10 bucks.
Tried it out as soon as I got back.
It fits with no modifications, and better yet it now functions perfectly.
Maybe this would help out someone else in the future with a similar project rifle as mine.

Guess, I got lucky diagnosing this one.
Glad I didn't need to take the " hot glue" advise, lol...

Thanks for all the input guys.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff mills:
With the measurements I have gotten from some 700 owners that have a .300 ultra mag, I started looking for a follower for the Remington 700 in .300 ultra.
Went to an old gun shop I know used to do smith work years ago for a few competition shooters .
The guy rumished around for awhile after saying he remembers doing a conversion on a 700 into a single load bench gun.
He found it and it measures 3.634 long, width is .655-.797.
Got it for 10 bucks.
Tried it out as soon as I got back.
It fits with no modifications, and better yet it now functions perfectly.
Maybe this would help out someone else in the future with a similar project rifle as mine.

Guess, I got lucky diagnosing this one.
Glad I didn't need to take the " hot glue" advise, lol...

Thanks for all the input guys.

Jeff
Great fix on your part!
Sometimes you just need to quit listening to the "experts" and go with your gut, you thought it out and followed through.
Some of these guys are such stick in the muds, stay in the box that all they can offer is negativity.
Persevere!!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that most are honestly triying to help and I'm very sure many know more and have more experience than I do working on firearms.
Tough to diagnose a problem without having the item physically there to scope it out.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Good for you Jeff. Glad you found exactly what you wanted. This is proof that half the stuff I read on the 'net' (concerning this kind of spacer delete issue on a Model 70 Winchester) is worthless.
A pic of the groups would be nice. Sorry my idea wasn't any help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks there custom bolt.
I would love to post some pics. But as I am well known for my abilities to do most anything, I completely suck at this computer/ tech stuff.
I have never had success posting pics on any forum site, posting links or many times even sending pictures from my phone to other people.
Technology is not my strong point what so ever.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Computers have their own language. I tried to download some pics from my phone to my PC and got errors. So I gave up on that. I can only send pics from phone to phone.
If you have a home PC, a $100 camera with a removable chip makes storing pictures on a PC a breeze. If you ever get that far, let me know by PM and I'll get you on postimage. I think it is the easiest for hosting and posting pictures.
I put this picture on here in 1 minute flat.