Notify
Tools

Cast Off, Cast On, Toe In/Out
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
Greetings,

When carving the stock into which you want to incorporate cast off, say 5/16" or so, do you begin at the rear guard screw or at the rear of the grip?

Once you have the cast-off you want, don't you have to take this into account and square up the butt to be perpendicular to the line of recoil? This is called the Toe-In and Toe-Out?

What would be an average cast off for a heavy rifle?

Thanks.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
RR---

Cast starts at the rear tang screw. Cast OFF means the stock is bent away from the shooters face.

Toe in and toe out is usually used for women's guns to get the stock away from tender parts of their anatomy.

Five sixteenths is a LOT of cast. Three sixteenths to a quarter is common, but I've seen three eighths on a shotgun made (by H&H) for a grossly overweight shooter....it also had a quarter of toe-out.

The butt is square with the center line of the BUTT, not the centerline of the inletting.

My latest rifle stock was made for a German with a square face and heavy neck. It has 3/16" cast off and he seemed semi-orgasmic last weekend when he shouldered it for the first time. It fit just right. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
"semi-orgasmic" Jack you have a great sense of humor!! [Smile]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack, I WANT one of those stocks! Do you list them on your price list as semi-orgasmic, full orgasmic, and full kinky, or what? LOL [Wink]

Do I have to wear protection to use one? [Big Grin] - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Sheister---

There are some gun shows where condoms are advised.

I just returned from one. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Hard to picture a German so excited, must have been a really good stock [Big Grin]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the contrary, I used to work with a German who would return to the shop after watching an afternoon of "exotic ballet" in just such a condition.
I personally use no cast and would likely be happy with some cast on with the toe out. This because I altered the general shape of my shoulder with a motocross bike. I would shoot from the other shoulder but I altered the shape of the hand on that side in a sawmill. If I live too long I'll be having to hold the butt against my chest and trigger with my big toe! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Billl.....don't laugh about the shape of a stock or how you need to hold it....

There used to be a young woman skeet shooter from South America who attracted a lot of stares when she shot. She was not only very atractive but quite busty and she mounted the butt stock of her Krieghoff right in the middle.....you'd think it would hurt but she didn't seem to have any problems although she was veeerrry careful when she mounted the gun. She was a fine shot.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote