New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marking barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you guys use for marking a new barrel you install?

Most stamps I've seen look really bad.

Posts: 41901 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You need an engraving machine; either a modern computer driven one, or an old manual pantograph. Look for New Hermes. Hand stamps won't do a good job unless you get ones made for each caliber you stamp, and I have those too.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just send them to an engraver to be done be hand. But I don't do too many.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which model hermes machine? They have a bunch and look expensive.

Posts: 41901 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I bought my Dad a personalized 'hammer hit' stamp some years back. I think it ended up costing like $140 for like 12 characters. It worked very well on brass as long as you didn't hit to hard and cause a double hit.

I don't recall the mfg but here is a similar one.

http://www.infinitystamps.com/...o.php?products_id=87

If you intend on numerous markings and/or you want to spend a bit more, that same company also makes steel type kits with endless possibilities. It utilizes a universal holder that keeps the characters in alignment.
And another company with kits.

http://www.hittmarking.com/cat....aspx?categoryID=235

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I mean the old New Hermes pantographs like jewelers used to use before computers. They are not as easy to find as a few years ago and you will end up paying 500 for one, with the brass font sets. Don't buy one without a motor; some of them just scratched the letters in.
It won't be cheap any way you go; there are little computer mills out there too, for engraving. Go to that famous auction site and you will see hundreds of them.
Custombolt; if you are getting double hits with your stamps, it is because the barrel is bouncing after the strike; you have to make sure that does not happen; I use bags of lead shot to weigh it down.
If you want custom stamps made, go to Buckeye engraving; they are very reasonable and will make any stamp you want.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks just the same for the tip dpcd. We didn't use it on any barrels, just on some brass ladles with a walnut handle he had made for something to do in his spare time.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using individual stamps for nearly forty years and am satisfied with them. There is a bit of a knack to it but I usually do OK. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3586 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a New Hermes for years. The motorized units are very hard to use on a round barrel. I have both the diamond scratch and motor. I have several sets of Fonts, but like the block best.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a motorized New Hermes too and it is actually very easy to use on round barrels; I do it all the time; you can't cut a very large letter though, on a round surface.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Many years ago we used stamp letters with a hammer!

Then we got a panto-graph like the jewelers use.

Now we use a laser engraver.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67580 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can find one reasonably look for a Famco P1-2. It's a heavier duty pantograph mill. I have one and it works exceptionally well.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1178 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Many years ago we used stamp letters with a hammer!

Then we got a panto-graph like the jewelers use.

Now we use a laser engraver.

Heh heh, what did you engrave on Walter's Blaser?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote