New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L61R problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Sako L61R .300 WM that I recently purchased.

When ejecting spent cases they angle up and hit the bottom corner of the scope adjustment housing directly in line with the center of the windage adjustment nob. the result is that they fall back into the well and block chambering the next round. I have tried higher rings, but no change.

I am proficient at gun repair, but have never run into this before. Would angling the face of the ejector change the angle of the empty case as it leaves the extractor?

I have checked the extractor for deformation and burrs. Everything looks correct.

Appreciate any new ideas or a fix if someone has dealt with this before.

Thanks...

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB

I had this problem on one of the new actioned SAKO's in 416 Rem Mag as well.

If nothing elso works you might try turning the scope so that the windage knob is straight up and the elevation knob is on the left side of the gun.

Or even better, trade the SAKO for a Blaser R 93. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
DB

If nothing elso works you might try turning the scope so that the windage knob is straight up and the elevation knob is on the left side of the gun. Big Grin

I thought of this as a last resort, but would rather exhaust all other options first.

As for the Balser R 93? Just ain't my cup o' tea.

Haven't looked at one. Do the new Sakos have the same extractor/ejector system?

Thanks...

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D B Cooper:
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
DB

If nothing elso works you might try turning the scope so that the windage knob is straight up and the elevation knob is on the left side of the gun. Big Grin

I thought of this as a last resort, but would rather exhaust all other options first.

As for the Balser R 93? Just ain't my cup o' tea.

Haven't looked at one. Do the new Sakos have the same extractor/ejector system?

Thanks...

Maybe changing the scope ring height???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried that. Tried a different scope. No luck..

Thanks...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the location of the ejector more determines the angle the case is ejected from the action. Sounds like that is your last resort to fool with. I'd order a replace before I made changes on the one you have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guessed it...

I've been working on it. I changed out the ejector with my L579 Forrester in .243. I have discovered that the ejector on the .300 is too short.

It needs to be lengthened by about 1/16th of an inch. When I put the .300 ejector in the Forrester it developed the same problem.

I think I've got it covered.

Thanks for the help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DB: I've had exactly the same problem with an L61R .300 Win. Have you found a source for a replacement ejector?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just talked to a gunsmith friend down in Coquille (pronounced Ko-Keel) Oregon. I think the old ejectors are non-existant.

Can't find one anyplace. I'm sending this one to him.

He's going to lengthen it for me by welding and shaping it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D B...was just going to say hit it with a mig or tig welder if you had one and grind or file to length and shape, using the 243 one for a pattern.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could try contacting a man named Erkki Kauppi at the Sako factory. They used to have quite a reserve of spare parts.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cewe,

Thanks for that information. Do you have an address or link to their website?

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
SAKO LIMITED/ Erkki Kauppi
P.O.BOX 149
FI-11101 RIIHIMÄKI
FINLAND
TEL. (+358) 10 830 5200
FAX (+358) 19 720 446
www.sako.fi

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks...