THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Rem 700 Bolt problem - pin for plunger ejector came out

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 Bolt problem - pin for plunger ejector came out
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all

Yesterday at the range my 700 BDL (.222rem) jammed after firing. The bolt would open and come back slightly (say 1/4") but that was it.
When I got home I disassembled the rifle looking for the problem, removed the stock and trigger and went through it until I came the conclusion the only solution would be the rod and the hammer.
Gentle taps finally started to see some movement and then out it came. I found a small piece of metal (say 1/8th inch long) that initially I thought was the end of the firing pin...checked it and it was fine.
I saw nothing else amiss so cleaned it all and put it back together and then closed the bolt and it jammed again, then came free.
I ended up with the plunger ejector and spring in my hand but am yet to find the rest of the pin.

So question is, how is the ejector retaining pin fixed in place.....purely tight fit?
Why would the pin have come loose? The rifle has been accurised (trued etc) but the loads being fired are mild accuracy loads and were on new cases.
Is this a home fix job or something I should leave to a smith - I don't want this happening in the field.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Craig
Brisbane Australia

Posts: 27 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older style ejector retaining pins were swaged on one end to hold their position, but now they are a roll pin and as such, are self holding. The retaining pin could have been lost at the time of removal and a smaller pin installed in it's place and held in place by the spring tension. I've not seen that particular problem before, but I can understand it. It is a home fix and requires a 5/64 X 3/8" roll pin. If the gunsmith who trued the action was the one who used a smaller pin to retain the ejector, I would keep my eye on the rest of the gun to make sure it doesn't unravel. Big Grin Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Malm.

The gun has quite a few rounds under its belt since accurising....like a couple of thousand and it shoots like a dream...well my dream anyway which has always been to own a super tackholing .222.
The pin issue has me stumped as the gun has done quite a bit of travelling, and not always super smooth as I use it for feral animal control as well as bench.

I will source a pin and get it back going again.

Cheers

Craig
Brisbane Australia

Posts: 27 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote