Find
Notify
Tools

A "New" Javelina Gun.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Okay, this is gonna sound stupid, but is there anyone out there interested in rebarreling a Ruger # 3, or an NEF Handi-Rifle to 25-20?

I like to hunt Javelina, and a 22 Hornet does a great job, and have been trying to get a 1894 Marlin CL, but think that either a #3 or an NEF, or a Baby Rolling Block, or even a ratty #1 would make a wnderful light weight rifle that would knock Javelinas down in a heart beat with those 86 grain flat point bullets.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A #3 would be a good choice. My favorite for this round, however, would be a Winchester low wall. A good bit more expensive perhaps, but way nicer and they carry like a dream too.

Lots of folks can rebarrel one for you. Lee Shaver in Missouri, John King in MT, and probably just about any decent gunsmith around can do this I would think.

BTW, there are two flavors of the .25-20. The SS version (Singleshot) is my favored but the brass is a beast to make. Don't go there. The .25-20 "repeater" or sometimes called "Winchester" is common enough that brass is no problem. It is a stronger bottleneck than the SS case.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
OK,

I have a similar rifle. Well, a BF falling block chambered in .32 H&R mag. I get a 115 grain gas checked LFN going 2000 fps. Very nice little rifle. Not much to look at but it shoots real good. I like the pistol brass cuz its so easy in the carbide sizer.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How about a Thompson/Center Contender carbine with a Fox Ridge .25-20 barrel?

Or with a 6.8 Rem. barrel?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My favorites for Javelina are:

1. Remington Model 25 carbine engraved by George Sherwood, in .32-20, and

2. M'94 in 25-35 Winchester, and

3. S&W M27 in .357 Mag.

So, your idea for a .25-20 sounds just dandy to me. If a No. 3, I'd probably get someone to change the lever configuration just for what I would personally think is better feel and appearance. And, I'd probably take some wood off the buttstock to slim it a bit. But I still think you've got a great idea.

One of the most fun hunts of my life was sneaking into the dead middle of a family of 7 "pigs" munching away on prickly pears scattered around in the middle of a pretty open "live oak" thicket on the south slope of the Winchesters (Arizona Unit #32). When one fed up within about 5 feet of me, I gave a "yip" and startled the bejazuus out of all of them. They all took off in whatever directions they were facing, like the very devil was on their little tails. Was so much fun being in among them I couldn't bring myself to be so heartless as to shoot one of them under that circumstance.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ah, yes, the javelina in the Winchesters just seem to be a little too easy. I bought a Colt Dragoon cap and ball revolver to hunt them after seeing so many while mule deer hunting there. I had to move before that happened, but your story does remind me of the same thing happening in the same place.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
What I would really like to do is convince one of the companies that are making the smaller inexpensive doubles, to build me 2 rifles. The first in 25-20 and the second in 22 Hornet. I know that the Hornet will do more than the 25-20, but the concept of stalking Javelina with a nice light double in 25-20 appeals to me. Of course I could cut to the chase and try to swindle a friend out of a Marlin 1894 CL still in the factory box that is chambered for 25-20.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crazy,
A friend of mine sleaved an old belgium double 16 bore and made it into a .25-20 Dangerous Rabbit Rifle. Pretty slick. His was with hammers (might as well go all the way), and balanced beautifully, much to my surprise.

I can't conceive of a .22 Hornet doing more than a .25-20 which has more of everything.

Brent

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a Martini Cadet? I have one in 256 Win that fits you description and it's lighter, cheaper, and more powerful than a #3 or low wall in 25/20.

Jon

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
What I would really like to do is convince one of the companies that are making the smaller inexpensive doubles, to build me 2 rifles. The first in 25-20 and the second in 22 Hornet. ...the concept of stalking Javelina with a nice light double in 25-20 appeals to me.

I'd certinly buy that! While you're dreaming, ask them to make me one in .32 H&R Mag. That strong little straight-walled case would be perfect for use in a tiny double...come to think of it, a .32 S&W Long would work just as well and still be prefectly adequate for Javelina.

quote:
Of course I could cut to the chase and try to swindle a friend out of a Marlin 1894 CL still in the factory box that is chambered for 25-20.

Isn't that what friends are for? Would give him the perfect opportunity to cadge something from you that HE has always lusted for..........(Grin)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote