Find
Notify
Tools

Attention BRNO lovers:
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I think the stock on mine is pretty typical. The only one I have seen in person is the one I own, but the ones I've seen on the web all seem to be similar: medium light color with some dark streaks.

Note the butt plate on mine doesn't quite reach the edge of the wood. I think they must shrink.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
My 8x57 looks just like that one with the exception of the square bridges. I had Mark Stratton make a set of stradle bases with a groove cut so that you can still use the open sights. I use Talley rings and ordered a 1.5x5 VXIII Leupold with a German #1 reticle. I am taking it to Namibia in 22 days.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
TC1:
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
In that condition the rifle is a collector's piece and the buyer - who might but probably will not be me - will pay a collector's price. Any actual use, however slight, will sharply depreciate value. And breaking it up for the action, as some have suggested, would be pure idiocy. There are plenty of slightly used Brnos around for that.

The breaking it up for the action post was all in good humor.

Terry

I surely hope whoever wins this doesn't part it out, or better yet have it drilled for an odd ball scope mount, and alter the bolt handle to clear the scope, and oh yes a recoil pad. I would not have posted the link if I thought that would happen. I also would not have posted the link if I didn't already have an identical piece in about the same condition. Wink

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look. If someone will get it for me I be glad to try it out and report back.
Might even pay it off if it's any good.
After seeing other Brno's bolt knobs, I wouldn't touch that one.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanking my lucky stars it's not a ZG!!!

Terry - I am just about to receive that lovely Cabelas ZG 270 you alerted to me at Xmas. Good things come to those who wait.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
What a nice rifle. I'm glad you got it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need a buttplate for a rifle 22-f. I have several stocks and everyone has rubber replacement. I love these rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the rifle plus zg-47 and brno 600 that my simba rings are built for. They are the finishing touch for these guns.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Wonder where that one has been hiding all these years?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pre-War Brno wood was very nice, as used on the Model A and B. During the war, they began making the forerunner of the 22F for the Germans. These had plain, military grade wood.

Immediate post-war rifles (round top), had nicely figured wood. These were made 1946-49. It seems that the 1949 coversion to the square bridges also saw the decline of the nice wood. The 1949-1955 rifles all seem to be light in color and plain in figure, with few exceptions.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Was the $1,784 price a bargain? (I'm a lefty so I know nothing about them)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
fla3006

quote:
if I didn't already have an identical piece in about the same condition.

You better check those serial numbers! They just might be consecutive! Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Was the $1,784 price a bargain? (I'm a lefty so I know nothing about them)

That is about average for a minty example. A full stock would have added a couple of hundred.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the history of the factory an company that made these rifles, and why they are not being made today.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They are CZ today.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11140 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I chose to exercise some restraint after I failed to register my new credit card....In truth I'm saving myself for the ZGs and I'd want to shoot it.

From my point of view it's a no brainer. An unfired rifle from 57years ago for the price of a new sako 85

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Does anyone know the history of the factory an company that made these rifles, and why they are not being made today.

Brno Zbrojovka and Czeska Zbrojovka are two seperate entities, and pretty much have been for the last 100 years. Over the years they have manufactured many different items, including military armaments and sporting rifles.

The confusion lies in the fact that the Czech government required CZ to use the Brno moniker on the 600, 601 and 602 series rifles. They returned to using the CZ name when they evolved into the 550 series.

Until recently, Brno continued to make sporting rifles on the large ring military 98, some of which can be found under the Frankonia line in Germany.

I would surmise that they no longer make the small ring sporters because the tooling wore out around 1955, and there was no longer a demand for such rifles when mass produced Remingtons and such could be had for a fraction of the cost.

<slancey>
posted
I win!
Curse you, fla3006, for ever showing us this listing. Now I have to be the one to keep himself from taking this thing out to the range and giving it a shakedown... for the next 30 years!
I've never had a BRNO, but always wanted one.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Slancey, you will not be disappointed. The price was quite reasonable for that particular piece. You will probably curse me again and again in the future as you become familiar with the full stock versions and the later ZG-47s.

By the way, there is a nice unaltered early-style round top full stock 6.5x57 with brass and dies that just got listed on GunBroker:

BrnoMannlicher6.5

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if folks would be willing to pay this kind of money for these rifles if they were being made today exactly as back then. Seems CZ might do well to make them if they would bring those kinds of prices.

<slancey>
posted
Thank God I'm not a Mannlicher stock fan. That one looks like a refinish job anyway.
I'm not sure about the ZG-47, but I'm very curious about the ZKK-601, especially in the .223. I can't seem to find much to read about them.

Anybody know where I can get scope mounts?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Warne & Talley make 2 piece rings that fit Brno/CZ 21/22s, ZG47s, ZKKs & CZ550s, they're all 19mm dovetail with a stud that fits in the side of the bridge to prevent slippage. My favorites are early-style Warnes, like these on my 223 ZKK601:

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Will the Talley's fit and all original 21H?

Terry

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I think the high ones will work but I haven't tried them. The high Warnes and Kimbers will.

one of us
posted Hide Post
At the Syracuse show this weekend one dealer had four or five of these rifles, full and half stock, various calibres, all with German scopes, all very nice externally, did not look in bores, price range 2100-2400.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slancey:
I win!
Curse you, fla3006, for ever showing us this listing. Now I have to be the one to keep himself from taking this thing out to the range and giving it a shakedown... for the next 30 years!
I've never had a BRNO, but always wanted one.

congratulations - I'm glad it went to an AR member.

<slancey>
posted
What's a good maintenance treatment for the wood? My guess is this rifle has some grease on it that will have to be removed. I have some great furniture restorer from Homer Formby's that works pretty well.
What about linseed oil?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the wood is original, there will be a coat of 1950's era varnish on it. There will probably not be any on the interior, nor on the checkering grooves.

If you are not going to hunt with it, don't worry about it. If you plan on taking it to the field, or shooting it with dirty/sweaty hands, then a thinned-out coat of True-Oil or Spar Varnish is as good as anything.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
slancey: I have some great furniture restorer from Homer Formby's that works pretty well.

Don't use that or anything else that disolves the old finish. I'd just clean it good with a clean dry cloth, get all the old grease/oil off.

<slancey>
posted
Great, thanks guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 21H in 7x57, 1954 vintage, the stock is also a medium dark walnut with some dark streaking. I have had nothing but complimentary comments on this rifle from fellow hunters etc. The question I have is how many of you Brno admirers have seen one with the original factory scope? The reason I ask is I happen to have one and have never seen another, obviously not very many combinations were purchased. The scope has only horizontal adjustment and the mounts have the verticle, the rings are integral with the scope making the whole system rather compact. --- John 303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Warne & Talley make 2 piece rings that fit Brno/CZ 21/22s, ZG47s, ZKKs & CZ550s, they're all 19mm dovetail with a stud that fits in the side of the bridge to prevent slippage. My favorites are early-style Warnes, like these on my 223 ZKK601:

caution- I bought Warne rings for a 527, the rear ring has a screw in it instead of a recoil lug that fits a corresponding slot in the base as the factory rings do- the screw doesn't come close to fitting, and prevents mounting the ring.

I left it out.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John303.:
I have a 21H in 7x57, 1954 vintage, the stock is also a medium dark walnut with some dark streaking. I have had nothing but complimentary comments on this rifle from fellow hunters etc. The question I have is how many of you Brno admirers have seen one with the original factory scope? The reason I ask is I happen to have one and have never seen another, obviously not very many combinations were purchased. The scope has only horizontal adjustment and the mounts have the verticle, the rings are integral with the scope making the whole system rather compact. --- John 303.

Got a picture? In this case it would be worth a 1000 words Wink

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry; You are absolutely correct, I will take some pics. Being computer challenged I will have to Email to someone for posting. --- John 303.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Mail them to me. I'm off work for a couple of day's. I would love to see them and don't mind hosting them for you.

Terry

snargfarg@aol.com

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
John, I have a factory installed scope like that. It's on a 7x64 ZG-47, mounted in an all-steel one piece base similar to but not exactly like those pictured. You're right, you don't see them very often.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry & 06; I see PW 70 posted pics of a one piece Brno mount, very close to what I'm talking about as far as attachment to the rifle. The scope however it permanently set in solid rings. 06 you have the right idea. Terry I will get some pics next weekend (hopefully) and forward to you. --- John 303.