Find
Notify
Tools

wood finish ideas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

My vision for the rifle I will soon send to Wayne and co at AHR to build is nearly there; the blank I will use has proper grain flow and will work well for my project; I will use a red recoil pad and Wayne will Gunkote the metal for me. I think a fairly robust reddish finish would bring it all together nicely. Seems it would also bring out the strong mineral streaking that runs through the walnut.

Does anyone have photos they'd like to share as well as staining ideas/techniques?

Thanks!

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is a piece of Turkish with Pilkingtons English red on it.

I like it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is another I did with the Pilkingtons. This one is on a piece of English walnut.

Another, this one is a W.J. Jeffery original in 6.5X54. It's for sale at Cabelas right now it you happen to have an extra $10K you can spare.

Last one. This one is an old BRNO 21H I bought a few years back. The stock was broke and had been refinished several times before I bought it. I used a product no longer made for it. It was a lot of trial and error to get this color.

Notice the black pours? That's Bone Black mixed with Rotton Stone. I like the effect.

Staining a stock is pretty straight forward. The trick is finishing it. If you break the finish you might as well sand it all down to bare wood and start again.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats a beautiful job terry - glad to see you're back posting & hopefully feeling much better

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, I'm better.

Thanks,
Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive redish stained a few with Laurel Mtn Stain "cherry color" Reduced the stain 10to1, works good on english walnut. I filled the grain then wet sanded with water as a lube back to wood surface useing 600 grit and a 3M hard rubber backing. Then wiped on several very light coats of Dalys teak oil after staining on this one

http://i20.photobucket.com/alb...416.jpg?t=1236639237

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good looking finishes.

I like the reddish colors.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote