Find
Notify
Tools

Price Check - Your advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Am looking at a DCM M-1 Garand a fellow at our range has for sale or trade. It apparently has a newer stock (maybe a Boyd?) on it, but the stock "looks" virtually original, though I know it isn't. I know that because the original stock is offered with it also.

Maker of this rifle is International Harvester, and it is clearly NOT a parts guns. I have have had the opportunity to shoot it using Chinese military ball I happened on have on hand that day at the range. It is surprisingly accurate...about a reliale, repeatable on demand, 1-3/4 to 2 MOA.

Metal condition appears to be about 90% overall or better.

He wants my Remington 700 BDL in .17 Remington which has a Lyman LWBR 20X scope on it.

Question:
Is that a fair deal? I know not much at all about the Garands Market although I did carry one for our Uncle Sam for a few years.....

Should I do this deal or not?

Choices:
Yes, Grab it!
No! Sell your curent rifle and offer him $---

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
My opinion is how attached are you to your M700? and how bad do you want that M1?
I wanted an M1 so bad I took the first deal that came along. It a good gun but I might have been able to do better.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
When I entered the Army in 1956 I was probably in the minority as I carried my M1 and 1911 in with me. They would actually let you keep them in the arms room at that time and all the qualifying I did I did with this rifle. It was one of the cut and welded surplus actions that had the reciever cut in half and sold as salvage. Some enterprising guy bought a bunch and carefully fitted two halves and welded them together and they were legal to sell. They were about the only M1's available at the time. The ROTC armorer at the University I attended at the time wangled me a National match barrel and fittings and assembled one of the finest M1's I've ever had the pleasure to shoot. At Ft Chaffee Arkansas in the 200yd standing to sitting 10rnd match I shot a possible. Got a presentation and nice engraved lighter for the effort (which was shortly thereafter stolen). This reciever was an International Harvestor. Shortly thereafter a Colonel who was a competition shooter talked me out of the M1 and the 1911 which was a Micro sighted ribbed full competition (as they were built at the time) gun built by me. It too was a surplus frame. 1911's were literally a dime a dozen back then.I really like to shoot the M1. I like the ching when it ejects the clip.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compare the prices. The Lyman will go for between $550 and $700 depending on the condition and reticle, and the .17 $500-$700, again depending on condition. What is a run-of-the-mill Garand worth? Average Garands are available to every gun show but how ofter do you meet a LWBR/Rem.17 BDL combo waliking down the street?

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
$625-$975 for a Service Grade M1 HRA. Correct Grade HRA $1150. New M1 stock w/metal $150. All prices from CMP today. From your description, it sounds like a Correct Grade.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by zimbabwe:
When I entered the Army in 1956 I was probably in the minority as I carried my M1 and 1911 in with me. They would actually let you keep them in the arms room at that time and all the qualifying I did I did with this rifle.

Zim -

I remember those days well. I was still in the Army at that time. We weren't required to keep our rifles in the arms room. Some of us regularly kept them in the same squad rooms as our bunks, in rifle racks which sat on the floor and held them upright. No locks on the racks.

Many of us who had nothing else to do at night would sit around and "bone the stocks" to close the grain and bring the wood to a high polish, of which we were as proud as our well spit-shined boots, which were still brown coloured then.

It was about 1958 that they switched to black boots in our outfit....same time they also dumped our OD Ike jackets and trousers of the wool "winter" Class A uniform and went to the bell-hop Class A winter coat. Not all of us got stuck with that change; some of us were already "advising" in SE asia, which actually began right after the French left following Diem Ben Phu.

Me, I brought my Ike jackets and other OD stuff home with me after being air-evac'd home and medically disabled out of the service. Still have them, although they seem to have shrunk a bunch as I have aged Wink.

BTW, I did the trade. I paid $140 for the Remington in a pawn shop owned by a close friend, even though it looked about like new. Paid $125 for the Lyman LWBR. Don't feel I got too badly hurt even though the values of both rifle and scope have gone up. I seldom ever used the .17 Rem, as I much prefer the .223 Rem cartridge and the .220 Swift for varmints.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Now you need some ammo and enblocks
This guy has a boat load and takes paypal. http://www.garandclips.com/

Good deal you got one hell of a rifle

Please post some pics

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I can't post pics of anything at present.

I no longer have a printer, scanner, copier, or fax since we moved here, and the computer I am using is 12 or 13 years old.

As soon as I have bought everything else we need in our new home here, I will be buying a new computer, scanner, et.al. Until then I am S.O.L., as I am old-fashioned enough that I don't go into even short-term debt for anything of that sort.

I still have maybe 1,300 rounds of clipped G.I., white-box, and clipped Chinese ball ammo, and have a couple hundred spare Garand en-bloc clips though, so am set okay there for a while.

Thanks for the link, in case I need it one of these days.