New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem mag to 6.5x284
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

Can you tell me if it is possible to change a Tikka master M695 Mag rifle in 7mm Rem mag to a 6.5x284? If yes, would it be an expensive process?

The reason why I´m considering this is that left handed rifles are few and far between here in Iceland and I really like the Tikka and Sako rifles but both have stopped making LH rifles.

Thanks,
Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
It won't work due to the bolt face. (Or I should say it will require a new bolt or some expensive modifications.) The 284 case has a 30-06 head size. The 7mm Mag is an H&H head.

If you want to do this, you should find a used 30-06 model and start from there. You would then just require a new barrel and action rail/follower work to make the fatter case feed.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was afraid of that. Thank you very much for the answer. I guess I´ll have to start searching for other rifles.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
jonj, Have you considered the .264 Winchester magnum? It is basically a 7mmMag case necked down one step! And the 6.5/284 ballistics are there with less pressure.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote