New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gew 98 Action question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could anyone comment on the quality/ desirability of the Gew 98 action for a sporter rifle, in 6.5-06? I don't recall very much about these actions. Thanks.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
German WW1 98 Mausers. Generally less desirable then later 1930's DWM or CZ Mausers but the ones I have seen and used are better made then late WW2 98's. I have a .243 and 7mm Remington built on both Spandau and Amberg made actions. They have many rounds through them with no problems.

Posts: 86 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larkin,

Thanks for the reply. This is a gun I was looking at purchasing, was unfamiliar with the action. If it's a good shooter and I can get the price down, it may be worth owning, just nothing special.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The Oberndorf stampings and dates on the tops of un-drilled receivers look good on open sight European-style sporters.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:
Could anyone comment on the quality/ desirability of the Gew 98 action for a sporter rifle, in 6.5-06? Thanks.

I have one made in 1940 and IMO it's as good as it gets for a '98 action. It can handle the 6.5-06 nicely.

Ones made in 1944 and 1945 are not to be trusted IMO as they were hurried for war production and many qualities are totally missing. German and Czech made Mausers from 1924 to 1943 are great actions!

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
The Oberndorf stampings and dates on the tops of un-drilled receivers look good on open sight European-style sporters.

Aye tu2

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:
Could anyone comment on the quality/ desirability of the Gew 98 action for a sporter rifle, in 6.5-06? I don't recall very much about these actions. Thanks.

It should work ok w/a few magazine mods. I would suggest going with the 6.5 Swede and handloading.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote