New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to mix with whiting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up some Brownell's whiting to draw oil from an old shotgun stock. The can says to mix with TCE. Their catalog mentions TCE, acetone, methanol and maybe something else. Home Depot carries acetone. Is that a good choice, given that I'll wear good gloves and avoid fumes? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use acetone and it works fine. Work fast because it doesn't take long to dry

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apply the paste generouslly then wrap the whole thing tightly in aluminum foil to retard drying and let the acetone work. Remove the foil after a day or two and allow to air dry. Brush off dried crust and examine. Repeat if needed.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Laquer thinner will also do the trick.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bobc,
The next time you need whitening, go to a swimming pool maintenance outfit and talk them out of a can of diatomaceous earth (de). That is what Brownells sells at an exorbitant markup.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Surprised no DRSS member suggested mixing with single malt scotch. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote