THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Hagn Falling Block Action: What steel is it made of?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hagn Falling Block Action: What steel is it made of?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard that That The Hagn single shot reciever,block and lever,are machined from a casting, is this true?

I was under the impression that it was made from a forging, but may well be wrong.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Ruger #1's are machined from a casting also and are one of the strongest actions in the world!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with modern investment castings when you use a good alloy and heat treat it properly.I think Ruger uses type 4130 or 4140 Chrome moly steel which are typical gun steels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know castings can be strong, but is it fact that the Hagn is cast?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack,
It is from a casting. I quote the followign from an article by Stephen Dodd Hughes that appears on the Hagn and Martini web site. "The action is based on three investment cast parts, the action body, the lever and the trigger. Each is extensively machined in-house as are all of the other parts except the springs, pins and a few small pieces. The cast parts are not hardened and are made of a low carbon steel equivalent to 8620 so they can be case hardened. Case hardenign is recommended, but not required because of the massive engaging surfaces of the breech block in the mortise."

Here is a link to the article.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are very nice rifles, a friend of mine had one built in 6.5x55 about two years ago. He is a retired Mountie with a very good job and hunts with Adolph Hagn and Ralf Martini. My hunting partner bought a ZG-47 action from me and Ralf is building him a 9.3x64 on it. M&H are good gunsmiths, but, I prefer the stock styling of guys like Chic, Echols, Fisher and Roger Beisen.

My friend's rifle cost him about $18,000 CDN, engraved, mounts and so forth; in all honesty, I think that it is over-priced, but, each to his own. I will be interested in seeing what Karl Webber comes up with in the S.S. rifle that "waffenhein" is now building. A singleshot in .303 British with decent bullets would be an intriguing rifle to hunt with, here in B.C.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Customstox.8620 is also an excellent steel and I would suggest you have it case hardened.