New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need New Gunsmith
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well my gunsmith is great! Actually too good. Enough so someone noticed and he is going to Minessota to take a job with a large corporate outfit. My congrats to Josh but now I have to start over. [Frown] So anyone have any suggestions? I had at first thought about staying in Ohio then thought that was stupid. If Im sending my stuff off it really dosnt matter where it goes, Shipping wont really be a factor. The only down side is I cant just pop in on my day off and see how things are going or just get a cup of coffee and BS for a couple hours.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Mike said--
quote:
......I cant just pop in on my day off and see how things are going or just get a cup of coffee and BS for a couple hours.
THAT'S why some gunsmiths have unlisted phone numbers and claymores in the driveway. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a recent thread here where good things were said about a shop in Ohio that I think is called IT&D Gun Shop. I hope someone corrects my spelling.

This shop has advertised in places like the Gun List and Shotgun News.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack, I take that to mean you are not interested then? [Big Grin]
PS While Im BSing I make a good gopher!

[ 03-28-2003, 08:18: Message edited by: Mike Smith ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

There is an axiom out there that says it all;

Shop labor cost: $45/hr
If you watch: $90/hr

You know, sometimes that ain't enough. As far as the coffee goes, who in the hell would want to put in a coffee pot? And what for? When I go to the local gunshop to get something, I can see a good reason not to; all the empty styrofoam cups in the waste basket (if they even get there) and all the "gunshop rats" with a cup in hand harrassing the reeal customers.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I worked with a retail store, I had a few guys who just liked to hang around and watch me work. Some of them worked for the government and may have simply been fascinated by the concept of productivity! Seriously, I always felt it was an integral part of the job and enjoyed the company as long as they stayed out of the way. The nice thing about the retail store setup was there was an end to the day. I did have the unlisted number! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Geez, anyone that hangs around my place for a couple of hours...... he's going to walk out a couple hundred bills lighter. In two hours, I'll find something he can't live without. LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
Anyone that hangs around my shop for long is going to get put to work. The floors always need sweeping if nothing else.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok guys I desrved that, Now that we have all had some fun with this I do seriously need some advice. I dont know anyone in a reasonable distance that is either good enough or not booked way too far into the future. I really would like some suggestions. [Embarrassed]
Dutch, I think I know why my wife wont let me go by myself anymore! Im afraid you were a little too close to the truth!

[ 03-29-2003, 08:26: Message edited by: Mike Smith ]

<birddog25>
posted
Mike

Where are you located in Ohio? I know of a great Smith in southern Ohio. Infact, I drive about 6 hours just to let him work on my stuff. If you interested email me and I'll give you a phone number.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Birddog PM is on the way thanks.

<birddog25>
posted
Mike check your private messages. I sent you the info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!