THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Value of small ring Polish k98 action? Are they desireable for custom rifles?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of small ring Polish k98 action? Are they desireable for custom rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Value of small ring Polish k98 action? Are they desireable for custom rifles?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I used a Polish small ring for this rifle. I'd use another if I could find one.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While excellant rifles can be built on surplus milatary actions it really isn't desireable anymore unless you can get the action for nearly nothing in my opinion. The cost of bringing such actions up to usable for sporters is high - replace the bolt handle and trigger, lap the lugs, rework the bottom metal, drill & tap for scope bases, polish and blue, new safety, etc., will run the final cost above the price of a good used Remington or Winchester or commercial Mauser and you still have an old mil action, including the unsightly thumb cut-out.

But, as the photo above shows, you can have a beautiful rig built on those actions if you wish.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Forrest, that is just a gorgeous, dainty little thing! Who did it and what is it chambered for? Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
While excellant rifles can be built on surplus milatary actions it really isn't desireable anymore unless you can get the action for nearly nothing in my opinion. The cost of bringing such actions up to usable for sporters is high - replace the bolt handle and trigger, lap the lugs, rework the bottom metal, drill & tap for scope bases, polish and blue, new safety, etc., will run the final cost above the price of a good used Remington or Winchester or commercial Mauser and you still have an old mil action, including the unsightly thumb cut-out.

But, as the photo above shows, you can have a beautiful rig built on those actions if you wish.

There are those, including myself and many other folks here on AR, that think that the thumb cut out is not unsightly, and in fact is rather classic looking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In regards to the thumb cutout, check TC1's build on the forum. They put in a thumb cut in his mini mauser. I am building a custom Pierce[Remington clone] action. It is costing me a ton, both in my time and money so that it will not look like a Remington. It is a very nice modern receiver though. We all have different taste.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After having shot a M98 a bit in cold weather with heavy gloves I have great respect for the utility value of the thumb notch. On an open sight dangerous game rifle I would not have it any other way. Makes the loading process much more positive.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
...will run the final cost above the price of a good used Remington.

+1

quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Forrest, that is just a gorgeous, dainty little thing! Who did it and what is it chambered for? Lee.

Thanks. Duane Wiebe. 6.5X55

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is costing me a ton, both in my time and money so that it will not look like a Remington. It

Things like controlled round feeding & extraction, stronger extractor claws and a much better gas deflection design makes it still a sought after action. The Remington looks so cheap and basic in comparison - no nostalgia.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
...will run the final cost above the price of a good used Remington.

+1

coffee
To be so kind in the face of such ignorance takes grace. It also shows you're a better man than me.

BTW client#8, amazing rifle.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful rifle Sir. Is it a takedown?

Thanks...Bill.

quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I used a Polish small ring for this rifle. I'd use another if I could find one.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It is a takedown.
The takedown mechanism adds a little weight that makes the rifle seem a bit heavier than it looks. I don't know the actual weight off-hand but it's a pleasantly solid feel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The takedown feature on that rifle is very nice. I would imagine that it is of the interupted thread design similar to that used on Winchester Model 12 Shotguns.

But even more amazing, to me at least, is the absolute perfection in the styling of the stock; including the layout of the wood, the checkering, and the choice of that particular piece of wood for that particular rifle.

Masterpiece would be a good word for it.