Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion? Kimber 8400 vs. Win. Mod 70 Actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted
I am thinking of purchasing a new stainless lightweight rifle to use on backpack type hunts. I am considering a Kimber 8400 Montana or a Winchester Model 70. If I buy the Kimber I would use it as is. If I buy the Model 70 I would discard the factory stock and have it replaced with one of the new lightweight stocks made by McMillan. I have a few Model 70's already, but I have never used one of the short action (WSM) magnums. Any opinions and comparisons of these two actions and their respective trigger groups, feeding, functioning and reliability would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At this point, I would go with the Kimber. Although I'm having accuracy problems with a M84 in .260, I also have a Montana in 270wsm which shoots just fine. I'm optimistic that Kimber will put the .260 right for me too. For comparison, I have a M70 in 300wsm.

The Kimber will be lighter, no matter how much aftermarket fooling around you engage in with the Winchester. The Kimber also has a wonderful and easily adjustable trigger. The M70 trigger was fine in its day but doesn't compare with the Kimber. I've only had one of them, but mine feeds very well--I'd rate the M70 and M8400 about even on that score. For a gun you are going to carry a long way, the Kimber is lighter and trimmer and IMO is the clear winner.

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chet,

I agree with the post above by Fireform and to add that my SS M70 Classic in 7mm WSM has an out of round chamber. Thread on out of round M70 WSM chambers.

After restocking the M70 shot well but required FL sizing of course. It still sits at a Win. repair facility since last July.

Meanwhile I have bought four Kimbers. I can tell they care what they are doing.

Winchester on the other hand has a layer of corporate minions in place to keep you at arms length.

The M70 action is still an excellent design but I would not buy another.

Anyone can upgrade anything with enough time and money but for an off the shelf rifle the Kimber's are a very good place to start.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Montna is in 7/08 and I couldn't be happier. It weighs 6.5 lbs fully loaded scoped (Leupold VX III 1.75-6) and slung. Control feed but you can insert round into chamber and the extractor claw will slip over it. 22" barrel& Kimber version of Mcmillen stock. Using 140 grain Barnes TSX with 43 grains of Varget gets 2900+. Fast hadeling, accurate, light recoil and definitely gives great terminal performance.I can't compare it to the Winchester but it's tops among my "deer rifles" which icludes Remington, Sako and Encore.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for a backpack hunt, I would only consider the Kimber if you want a WSM. If you want a non-mag caliber, i would get the 700 Ti

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the Kimber Montana or Sako Finnlite if you want a Lightweight WSM. Despite the recent problems the Finnlites remain superb rifles. The Kimbers are probably the finest American production rifle made, and like Savage says they seem to care about what they are doing and have good customer service. If you prefer a Monte Carlo stock and/or a removeable magazine buy a Sako, otherwise the Kimber Montana is the way to go. You won't get a Winchester near as light as either unless you lighten your wallet by far more than for either.......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote