Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Channel Sealing Question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted
I have had the barrel replaced and action trued, lugs lapped, etc. on one of my rifles. The company that completed the rebarrel project opened up the barrel channel to allow the barrel to fit the stock. It doesn't appear the company sealed the barrel channel. I was wondering since it is a HS stocked rifle if this type of material needs to have the barrel channel sealed like one would for a wood or laminate stock? Would it hurt the stock? If so what is the general consensus for the type sealant I could use for this stock? I just don't want to ruin a perfectly good stock either way...by allowing moisture in the stock or to have a chemical ruin the stock.

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you really need to seal the barrel channel on a synthetic stock. If you really want to, a coat of Tru Oil should work just fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just me, if i cut into the foam of the interior stock, i seal it with a skim coat of glass. i don't water or junk to soak into the foam

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
just me, if i cut into the foam of the interior stock, i seal it with a skim coat of glass. i don't water or junk to soak into the foam

Good point, I've never gotten into the foam and didn't about think that aspect.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
I agree. If the foam core was intruded on I would seal it. Only the barrel channel has been opened to accept the barrel...But I think I am going to go ahead and seal it.

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote