New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota Arm going Bankrupt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read in the newest "Handloader" magazine that Dakota arms is going chapter 11. Might this be a case of trying to grow too big too fast, or just mismanagement? Anybody out there have the inside scoop? It would be sad to see the Model 76 and Model 10 go the way of the Dodo. I know that there are other quality actions out there, but Dakota's are nice. I could personally care less about Nesika, Miller arms, Baby Sharps, and all of the Dakota's shot guns and double rifles. I wonder what the Allen family thinks.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don Allen is dead and Norma is the biggest jerk that the firearms industry has ever seen, so who cares what they think.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live at Sturgis, SD and I know several people that work at Dakota Arms, one of which goes to church with me. I talked with him this morning and he said that they have backlogged orders for the next six months and that there will be more after the SCI shows and the Shot Show. The problem has been exceptionally fast growth and expantion. Norma Allen has been out of the business for over three years. The chapter 11 is to allow reorganization and that process is proceeding. No employees have been laid off.

I agree that their products are top notch. Given the amount of orders that they have waiting, my impression is that they will be fine.

If you happen to be in the area, stop by their plant. They will give tours any time, even if you just stop in.

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pretty much what 500 grains said, but I for one would hate to seem them go under & by what I hear that is very unlikely, especially if they got involved with some new ownership

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was a pure case of corporate take over. Buy the business and then add the other business' like Nesika, Miller arms etc. with stock options for the buy out. Then after all the other business' were added, file chapter 11 so you don't have to pay the other business' off because the stock options are now worthless.
I know that is what happened to a couple of my friends who are now out on the streets.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote