THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The proper order of things in life....???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All right, a deep question here. to everything there is a "proper order". i.e., we are born, mature, pay taxes, die.

so what is the proper order when putting a gun together, obviously get the smith work done first, but then do I do inletting before having it blued? does it matter?

Trying to plan for something I plan on doing the stock work on. thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
so what is the proper order when putting a gun together, obviously get the smith work done first, but then do I do inletting before having it blued? does it matter?

Well, you likely will get varying opinions, but I finish the metal dead last.

I shape, sand, and even mostly finish the stock with the metal in it. It's the only way to insure your metal/wood surfaces and junctions meet smoothly.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel the action first.

Inletting, bedding, etc. next.

Then sights/accessories.

Then off to the range to test fire and check sights while everything is still "in the white".

Once everything checks out, stock is finished, and metal is finished.

Then back to the range for final sighting in.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A long hard look at cartridges.

An equally long hard look at usage.

The sum of which brings me to barrel/action/stock design.

After that it gets somewhat easy.

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys.

John,

barreled action and sights etc. are all done, but I am changing the stock I put on it first, so I will get another one, inlet, and do the test firing and sighting as suggested.

Ron,

I have a stock design in mind that I like, I saw it on here somewhere. I am going to go through the gunsmithing forum later today and find the pictures and save them so I know what I am looking for. I am going to talk to Chic about it too, as he has a great knowledge on classic stocks for big bores (458)

thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote