New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange scope problem - any ideas?
 Login/Join

<Snake>
posted
This is really quite strange. I took my model 70 to have a new stock put on it and also have the scope remounted. The scope is a Leupold varix-III 3.5x10 and the rifle is a model 70 stainless classic in .375 H+H. Upon getting it back it is still firing 1" groups at 100 yards as it always has but they remain 6" low and 6" to the left and the scope adjustments yield absolutely no change. Have these guys screwed up my scope somehow or is there something else I should look at?

<bowiler>
posted
Consider putting a different scope on it, or that scope on a different rifle just to check things out further. If it is the scope leupold should fix it for free just send it in.

one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Were the bases changed when the scope was remounted? What type of rings were used?
Be sure the ring halves are not tightened together therebye damaging the scope tube.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JHook>
posted
Is this a new rifle ? The only possible explanation, if it isnt, is there is some kind of scope base/ring problem. Its possible you'll have to shim the rear base and check your ring alignment.

Does the scope line up to a boresighter "X" ? If not then try what I mentioned................J

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem with the same scope on my Mod 70 Classic Supergrade. I put the rifle in a vise and adjusted the scope to center of travel. Then shimmed it with brass shims until it was nearly dead on. I then made the fine adjustments with the screws and havn't had a problem with it since. Luepold will honor the work if it's the scope.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Snake>
posted
Thanks for the quick replies guys. To answer some of the questions it is not a new rifle and this scope was on the same rifle prior to having it restocked with no problems. I did have new bases/rings put on (Warne premier) and it doesn't appear they were over-tightened but sounds like I better pull them off and double-check. As I said the rifle shoots consistently - I just can't get any scope adjustments. No matter how much elevation and windage adjustment I make the group remains 6" low and 6" left.

<JHook>
posted
Its the bases and rings Snake. Call Warne on Mon and talk to the main guy, he will probably cut you new bases for free. By all means save the target...........J

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snake,

You said "upon getting it back", where has the rifle/scope been? If you mean a gunsmith, has the gunsmith been known as a good one?

Noticed how the adjustment is biased to EXACTLY 7:30 position? In a scope there's 3 things that maintains the adjustment of the reticle, the elevation adjustment at 12:00, the windage adjustment at 3:00, and there's the plunger spring at ---7:30 position.

When you adjust the reticle to go UP and RIGHT, the screws of elevation and windage simply goes away to allow the spring to push the reticle tube UP and RIGHT. That's right, the screws "ALLOW THE SPRING PUSH RETICLE TUBE INTO POSITION" when the adjustment is to go up and right.

If I were trying to fix this(if it's fixable), I will adjust the reticle all the way to low and left, then slowly "click by click" wait a little between clicks plus occasionally slap the scope with hands.

If the problem persists, the scope tubes might have been somehow bent or stressed that the reticle tube is prohibited to "bounce" back as the adjsutments allow it to move.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is what you get when you by a Leupold. You should have bought a Tasco or a BSA.

Just kidding. Pyrotek pretty much summed it up. I do wonder, can you adjust the point of impact at all? Can you make the POI go farther down and to the left? If you can, the scope was improperly installed and shimming will probably be needed. If you can't adjust the POI, the scope is damaged and will need to be repaired.

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Celt>
posted
If you are not getting any adjustment and can still easily turn the scope adjusment turret. Your scope is broke. period.
No matter where your base is, if you can still dial the scope adjustment and get no change in point of impact the scope is broke.

I have seen this numerous times and with many different scope brands, leupold included. The brand I have seen it most in though is Spring field Armoury.
Celt

one of us
posted Hide Post
celt!
thats just great!!! was thinking of buying the 3rd generation springfield scope.
but will have to do more research.

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I understand correctly, I think your problem may be something else.

A scope reticle is held in position by a screw on one side (your adjustment) and a spring on the other. After being in one position for a long time, the reticle can stick hard enough that the spring can't move it.

Turn the screw far enough in that you are sure that you have moved the reticle. This will break the reticle free. Usually, you can then back the screw out, and the reticle will follow.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Denton,
The reticle is held in a tube and you move the tube, not the reticle. And yes it is likely stuck, frozen etc.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Celt>
posted
Yes,
the cross hair is in the erector tube.
It is probably stuck like discribed above.
This usually happens when the scope is adjusted too far in one direction trying to compensate for the base being off.
When this happens, the erector tube is usually damaged.

Griff,
For what kind of shooting where you going to get the Springfield for?
I may have some suggestions.
Celt

<Snake>
posted
Thanks for all the help guys. The problem appears resolved. I removed the scope and reinstalled it only loosely and the adjustments work fine. There does not appear to be any damage to the tube however I am speculating the rings were too tight and interfering with proper operation. It remains to me seen if I can secure it enough to work properly under recoil or if it is permanently damaged but for now the adjustments move the crosshairs again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Celt,
was going to buy the 4-14-56 rangefinder reticule 3rd generation, $660 @ Cabelas! going on to a 25-06.

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Snake, I have had the same thing happen when a scope ring was located in a certain spot on the scope tube and tightened, it would "lock" the adjustments so that no change could be made. By moving the scope forward or rearward, and retightening the rings, the adjustments would again work correctly. Weird!! Don't remeber the brand of scope, but think it was a steel-tubed Waver K-model.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Strangely enough I had the same problem Sunday for the first time ever -- Leupold M8 4x on a .270. When I turned the windage adjustment to move my group right 1", it stayed put. Another inch, stayed put.

So I decided to *really* move it. I turned it 4" and it went all the way. Unfortunately I couldn't stick around for another target change so I will have to finish in a couple weeks.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote