New
Find
Notify
Tools

relieving bedding block
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have this mint .280 mountain rifle with a Shilen trigger installed. When I tried to fit it to a so-called B&C TI drop in stock, thing went south. The stock has a bedding block and pillars. It seems the adjustment screw and lock nut on the front of the Shilen is hitting the bedding block. Should I just use a dremel on the block? I've never worked on one of these modern contraptions. Stoney

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A mill would be a better option, but if you have a pedestal drill, maybe you could use one of these to drill a hole to clear it. If not, a dremel would be a last resort, but make sure you use a carbide bit and plenty of WD40 on the bit, if not, the aluminium will stick.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Yup. Just go in and cut it out. I use the mill because it's quick and it looks like it was done at the factory. But if all you have is a three legged, hermaphroditic beaver with an attitude, that will have to do.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Three legged, hermaphroditic beaver? That's funny. If I had one I would train it to make Mauser stocks.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Three legged, hermaphroditic beaver? That's funny. If I had one I would train it to make Mauser stocks.

I dunno dpcd. Can you teach a three legged, hermaphroditic beaver with an attitude to sprechen deutsch?

Could I interest you in a nice, cross eyed, constipated owl with homosexual tendencies? You might have better luck with one of those ! he he he

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nope; those are endangered and you can't own them down here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nope; those are endangered and you can't own them down here.

So no market for three peckered billy goats either?

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If it was a hog, they would definitely be interested here in Iowa. Where the pigs out number people.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a mill but will try the drill press. Seems like a better idea than the dremel.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Only if you have a way to hold the stock immobile; otherwise you just have a way to make worse mistakes faster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would use the dremel before I tried to set it up in the drill press. Running end mills in a drill is not good practice unless your drill has collets and it takes a good bit of know how and experience to clamp something like a wood, plastic or composite stock in solid enough to actually do safe and accurate milling off the Z axis. I'm not saying it can't be done or that you can't do it. But for the time it takes to set it up I could do a half dozen with the dremel and if I finished the cut by hand with a file with some sand paper wrapped around it I could make it look pretty damned good.

I personally use a mill. But I'm working for other people, time is a factor and I have $80,000 worth of equipment to play with. On top of that, I would charge $100 minimum labor so when I'm done, it had better look like a million dollar job or some cowboy would end up wringing my neck.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
ditto

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Dremel it is.