New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifled 12ga chamber reamer type?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to cut a 2 3/4" chamber into an E.R. Shaw fully rifled 12ga blank that's going onto a Greener GP, are there any special considerations here with regard to reaming the forcing cone, etc also what sort of reamer should I be looking at to pull this off properly?

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of 12 ga rifled blanks and a Greener GP also, I assume we're talking slug guns?

I have also wondered if a reamer meant for shot shells is the best for slugs, let us know how it turns out.

thanks,

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I've not chambered any rifled shotgun barrels per se, but I can't think it would require anything different from a standard reamer and forcing cone. All the forcing cone has to do is guide the slug into the bore like a standard throat. The only thing I would be concerned about, reamer wise, would be the fit of the pilot in the rifled bore. I would also want to make sure the forcing cone was well polished so as not to create any unnecessary drag between the barrel and the sabot.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
I just had a long conversation with Dave Manson on this very subject several weeks ago. His recomendation is a 10 degree lead angle. He said that this seemed to produce the most consistant results. Keep in mind that we were discussing a 20ga not a 12ga. So you may want to give him a call.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
You might consider talking to the guys on the 12GaFH link and the slightly longer 3.5" chamber, unless the 2 3/4 is the only consideration.

It gives you several more alternatives including the use of 2 3/4", 3", 3.5", brass and plastic cases, slugs and shot, etc.

Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:
You might consider talking to the guys on the 12GaFH link and the slightly longer 3.5" chamber, unless the 2 3/4 is the only consideration.

It gives you several more alternatives including the use of 2 3/4", 3", 3.5", brass and plastic cases, slugs and shot, etc.

Luck

Will those longer cartridges load into the Greener or eject?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote