New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 BR and twist rate??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Local shop has a 6 BR with a 26" Shilen barrel with a 1-8 twist. What would the lighest bullet one could use? Would it over stabalize a 70-80gr bullet or would it strickly be for the 100gr VLD's.

Thanks.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
My 6BR has a 1:12 twist and ONLY works with 55-70 gr bullets. With a 1:8 I expect 100 gr will be about it. The VLD is a good bullet but not the best. I like 68grs in a 6mm anything. Unfortunately, the 6mm bore size is notorious for being picky about bullet weight.However, you never know until you try it.Good Luck-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Al, I wouldn't worry about it. I'll bet you a dollar that it will even shoot the 55 gr. b-tips decently.

The ONLY two things that "overstabilization" does is accentuate flaws in bad bullets, and prevents "nose over" at extreme ranges (that is, the bullet keeps it's original attitude in flight at long range, rather than changing it's orientation along the flight path thus keeping drag the lowest).

JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 8" twist is intended for the 105 and 107 low drag bullets. It will however shoot with lighter bullets working well with bullets down to 85 grains. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3764 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote