THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lifetime supply of springfield recievers ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For you Springfield lovers, nirvsna awaits:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=28350738

(not mine)

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Pity they're all A3's......

Still, with no reserve it should be fun watching.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grandview , are all those actions the undesirable ones?
Whats the scope on those (A3's) ? Low serial #? Too hard brittle?

I "had" a springfield that was just marked springfield armory. not Remington ,or Winchester,or smith corona.
It had a nice sporter stock and peep sight. It didnt look military or a over polished bubba sporter. It was nice.
I didnt know anything about them , but I could tell it was a nice rifle.

Im keeping a eye out for another .

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
The 03-A3's are all safe shooters, GSP7. They were the last Springfields made, and the machining can be a bit on the crude side. They are less desirable than the 03's only because of finish and some cosmetic shaping features.

The A3's have a wide flat tang rather than the 03's crowned one, and the cutoff housing is a straight "barrel" rather than scalloped like the 03's. A3's also have a dovetail on the rear bridge where the military sight was.

Since these are receivers only, they can be fitted with the nicer 03 bolt and bottom metal.

Nothing wrong with them at all functionally......just aesthetics. And the 03-A3's can be made to look rather nice with a little effort.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Be careful...

The wording on this auction makes me suspect "all the barrel faces are good and flat and all threads are perfect including the mag switch area is cleaned and tested to fit a new mag cut off switch again"

To me, this makes me believe these are the "drill rifle" actions that the CMP is/was selling for $10 each. The barrels were welded to the action at the front receiver ring(spot weld), the firing pin hole in the bolt face was spot welded shut, and the magazine cutoff was welded so the bolt couldn't be removed.

I should add, crudely welded in all cases. There have been some of these show up at local gun shows where they are cleaned up, and look halfway decent, BUT they've been ARC welded on, with no intention of "saving" the action for later use.

I bought several of these the last time I went to the CMP north store at Perry, neat conversation pieces, but there is NO WAY I'd even consider building a rifle on one.

I'd run away.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I dont have much use for stripped actions, I cant seem to get them to work very well without the rest of the parts.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My problem is holding the rifle in place iwth one hand while trying to get the nail set lined up with the primer pocket and slam the end with the hammer. logistical nightmare, I much prefer the complete actions.

jump

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote