THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrel Rem. 760 (early 50's) to .270 win.
 Login/Join

posted
I have an early Rem. 760 in 30'06 and would like to rebarrel in .270 win. or 6.5'06. Is this a major problem due to the rotary lug lock? I don't see any barrels in most lists. I would like to use for lighter game when my MRC .300wsm goes on line.

Posts: 15 | Location: Salinas | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You need a special barrel extension wrench.

The basis for this is a block of steel bored to accept the round barrel extension. It then needs a 3/8" hole drilled in the location of the action tube bolt hole to hold it in position to the extension. Now the back side needs a shallow slot (.100+-) vertically that will accept a sliding plug that has to be fitted to the dia. of the inside of the lug area but with a upper protrusion that goes into the upper lug slot. When this all can be aligned, then drill a 3/8" hole in this slider to lock it in position into the other hole of the base.

Now you will have a ring of steel over the round outside of the lug area, & a fitted plug that goes inside the area where the bolt locks into. This locks the extension to the wrench. Now a handle needs to be attached or use a LARGE cresent wrench & your barrel vise. These early ones used a RH thread. If you do not use this type of wrench you will RUIN the threaded lug extension.

As for headspace, take a reading off the GO gauge to the rear of the extension of the old barrel. Use this dimension when you chamber the new barrel.

You will have to use the same contour barrel, otherwise the forearm will not clear on the rearward stroke.

The barrel itself has a straight shank for about 3/4 of the shank length, with only about 3/8" of threads at the rear. Sometimes this straight shank area from the shoulder back to the threads can be tight & stubborn to come off & may have to be tristed enough in a "unthreading" situation.

You can not exceed pressures of the existing calibers, or you will experience extraction problems. And bullets need to be seated so they will feed.

Posts: 26 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have a factory carbine barrel assembly in 270 I might part with. It's from the same period but only 18-1/2 or 20 inches. E-mail me if you want to discuss it.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No offense meant, but I can't see the gain in rebarreling your rifle. I'm guessing the rebarrel job is a huge PIA, and I'm not sure the difference between the two cartridges is large enough to not justify the change.

There are a lot of .270 model 760's and 7600's around. I'd keep the one you have as is. They're great rifles.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I have been having the same problems over the years deciding whether to keep it as is or rebarrel. It still shoots 2.5 inch groups at 200yds. I guess I will just keep it for back up. It has chips on the fore end where it fell down a coule in Arizona and dents on the scope. The bluing got rubbed off on the left side from miles and miles on horse back. It still shoot okay. Maybe I should try to clean the bore (don't think its had more than 2 boxes shot though it and is all coppered up) my step dad didn't clean it he just shot it. Claimed the copper was anti fouling! I took my last buck with it at 80 yds. Still...? Take care and shoot square.

Posts: 15 | Location: Salinas | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With Quote