New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackburn bottom metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am I right to presume that the front action screw escutcheon on one of these is oversize on the outside, and undersize on the inside, and needs to be fit to my action?

Does this also apply the to rear magazine box extension that slides up into the receiver?

Posts: 4156 | Location: Hell | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rear is pushed back for the 404 if I remember right. So the action needs work. The whole underside should need to be recut to match the opening, after you fit the box to the rounds (ai right?) The rest is minor fitting. Haven't used one since swift bought them. I thought that was the caliber you were ordering one for.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
The rear is pushed back for the 404 if I remember right. So the action needs work. The whole underside should need to be recut to match the opening, after you fit the box to the rounds (ai right?) The rest is minor fitting. Haven't used one since swift bought them. I thought that was the caliber you were ordering one for.
Don

I sent you an email - didn't hear from you but I hoped nothing tragic happened to you! Glad to see you are alive and kicking!

No, the rear is not pushed back at all - the round fits a standard 3.400 OAL magazine box same as for a 300 Win Mag (except for case taper). The commercial Mauser action we are talking about came from the factory with a 3.400" 30/06 magazine box with a push-button floor plate (I guess I will put it on eBay now).

The Blackburn bottom metal is for a 300 win mag, but it is very close for my round in terms of taper - much better than the factory box.

I sent an email to Bill Jacobs and waiting to hear back.

I will never build a rifle like this ever again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the 300wm metal is probably wider than the original commercial metal. So the cut out in the action needs to match that of the box. It is probably just the width at the rear that is keeping it from seating. Generally you take a 3/16 carbide endmill and cut the rear of the cut out in the reciever to the match that of the mag box (distance from the front guard screw and width). Then you can install the guard. Next you scribe around the inside of the box. That gives you your cut to line for the new opening size. Then cut the sides with a 3/8" ball endmill tipped at about 9 degrees. if the cut out is already to right with (which I doubt) then you might just need to round the ends of the part of the box that protrudes into the action.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
So the 300wm metal is probably wider than the original commercial metal. So the cut out in the action needs to match that of the box. It is probably just the width at the rear that is keeping it from seating. Generally you take a 3/16 carbide endmill and cut the rear of the cut out in the reciever to the match that of the mag box (distance from the front guard screw and width). Then you can install the guard. Next you scribe around the inside of the box. That gives you your cut to line for the new opening size. Then cut the sides with a 3/8" ball endmill tipped at about 9 degrees. if the cut out is already to right with (which I doubt) then you might just need to round the ends of the part of the box that protrudes into the action.
Don

Great - I'll get right on it! animal