New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini-mauser bolt shroud and saftey
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having a nice lefthand mini CD in 223 made up like a mini english-aka-Rigby big bore. Matin Hagn has done the stock and I have the custom blackburn looking bottom metal. My problem is is replace the hokey looking side safety. I see James Anderson has shown a pic of his and it looks like a side swing shroud safety. Haven't beeb able to get in touch with James as to the source.Does anyone know if someone makes such a safety for a mini. If so will a right hand safety work on a lefty. I have two other standard lenght lefthand Daley actions and have fitted them with Gentry left hand safeties but I don't think Gentry makes a mini mauser safety.

Posts: 151 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona  | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
The safety I used was a standard 98 3 position that I modified to work on the minix. I had to do quite a bit of work on the cocking piece as well. If you can get a LH 98 3pos safety CHECK THE INDEX of the buttress thread and compare it to the minix shroud. On my shroud, I drilled out the double D broached hole and made a bushing that fit the minix firing pin and went inside the shroud with a shoulder on the front of the shroud. The firing pin spring held the bushing against the shroud. I also had to turn a few threads off the shroud as well. Lester Brooks gave me the idea. He had a slick 17Rem with a military 98 shroud and a swing safety installed.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about this Manchurian Mauser design for awhile and believe that it may have some merit on making a bolt designed to work for LEFT and RIGHT actions. Look at the bolt shroud without the lock devise. It could be used right or left. No threads so it would work as the Sako actions are designed. An extension made to go inside the bolt body on the bolt shroud instead on the buttress thread. What do you think guys. I haven't seen the left CD actions, but I know that some changes could be made.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Les

The Mini Muaser may be a Manchurian Candidate :-)
Sorry I had to say it.

Does the shroud Cam onto the rear of the bolt.

Rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

No cam on the shroud. It slides forward as seen on the picture and rotates 180 degrees. There is a seat for the cocking piece on the back of the bolt. I believe that the closing of the bolt would be forced slightly forward with the hand to allow trigger and sear contact.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote