New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Mauser queries
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I came across not one, but two '98 Mausers today (and it's barely noon!) [Smile]

The first is an FN, still in military dress. The bolt handle is still straight, but the markings on top of the front ring has been ground off and the metal is painted battleship grey. The numbers match, but the left raceway is milled out. The guy is asking $200 Can (roughly $120 US)

The second is also a '98, 'sporterized' into the guise of an Alpine (chambered in .308, not that that's an issue). The action has the left raceway intact, but the top of both bridges have been milled out (about .010) to accomodate a set of Weaver bases. The raised lip on the rear bridge, just aft of the loading slot, has also been milled flush to the width of the base. The bolt handle has been bent in an acceptable fashion - not beautifully, but it wouldn't need re-done. The wood is intact and useable, but of negligible value. He's asking $500 Can. (roughly $300 US)

I'm having 9.3 x 64 thoughts here, and I'd appreciate any opinions.

Posts: 5763 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Tumbleweed,

one should avoid Mauser actions which are grinded or milled in the front ring, as that decreases its strength. And the 9,3x64 isn�t a quite weak cartridge.

IMHO the price is a bit too high for a M98 in that shape. Try to get an undestroyded gun, or look for a hunting rifle with Oberndorff, Brno or FN(Husky) action.

Best regards

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post

[ 03-22-2003, 02:09: Message edited by: Fritz Kraut ]

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote