THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help to diagnose sticking cases.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 8x57 Czech 98/22 chambers ammo ok, but after firing I have to use the heel of my palm and smack the bolt backwards to extract. The chamber is shiny with no burrs. The spent cases exhibit no unusual marks. I polished a spent case, checked it for proper length and attempted to chamber it. It met resistance at the point where the case mouth enters its corresponding portion of the chamber. To fully seat the case, I had to employ the heel palm technique described earlier. After extracting I noticed coecentric scuff marks around the full length of the case neck with no marks on the case body. The case looks like one that has been run through a neck sizing die. I have shot this same ammo in other 8mm's with no problem. Anybody got any suggestions/ideas/solutions?

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a tight neck. When you chambered the polished case was it resized in a die first or did you use a fired case?

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Polishe the chamber or chace it.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you get a bullet into a fired case?

Could it be a 8-57 J? They use .318" bullets.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found it! Under magnification, I detected a groove on the case necks from the case mouth to the shoulder. It is present on all fired cases. When re-inserted into the chamber with the groove in the 12 o'clock position and removed, a new groove is cut at the 8 o'clock position. So there must be a burr in the neck portion of the chamber, right at the juncture of the shoulder at 8 o'clock. Now the question is how best to remove it?

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Umm not a smith, but I stayed at a....
Tap the primer pocket of a fired case, and thread a rod (handle) into it. Put a dab of fine lapping or polishing compound on the case at the neck/shoulder junction. Insert and turn gently (by hand).
Clean the chamber and check your progress with another case.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote