Find
Notify
Tools

mag box dimensions for rimmed cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I have the formula for mag box dimensions for particular cases, but are they the same for rimmed cases...is there a different formula or different way of building magazine boxes for rimmed cases?

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is no formula. They are slanted for and aft and wider in the rear. Not rocket surgery. I'll look in Speed's book and see if the gives any dimensions. Find an original and copy it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Below is the formula part of an article I have on magazine box setup....would this change because of the rim? I can't copy an existing one because one doesn't exist. I am trying to make a better box for my 9.3x74r P14. Would such a box have to have ribs like the original 303 box?

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So I am assuming you have an unaltered P14 mag box and want to make it feed better. I'm thinking the rear of the box is OK since the rim diameters are real close. The issue may be the forward guide rib. It was designed to push against the much shorter .303 case neck/bullet to keep the round pointed at the chamber mouth. In your case, the rib is pressing against the case body. This may guide the round too far left or right depending on which side is feeding. Reducing the guide rib height may allow the round to center.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that that formula is unnecessary; I have stuffed too many 9.3x62s in 7.65, 8mm, and 30-06 magazines to know that. Meaning built them and they function perfectly.
As for the 9.3x74R; just take the P14 mag and make it longer.
Don't try to over complicate it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Below is the formula part of an article I have on magazine box setup....would this change because of the rim? I can't copy an existing one because one doesn't exist. I am trying to make a better box for my 9.3x74r P14. Would such a box have to have ribs like the original 303 box?

Roger

An easy way...Grab three cases to form a triangle, measure from the base to the top of the triangle..yep you can add a little, to that measurement.... Or not. (Ted Blackburn method)

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the info, I'll give it a go!

Roger

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A few no-holds-barred comments on rifle functionality from the late Don Heath - magazine dimensions included

https://www.africahunting.com/...oficiency-exam.2604/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan good read from someone who's been there. I personally have nightmare's about a rifle I built failing to function with a resulting injury.

And I see Soooo... much crappy advice here and on other forums about a half assed fix...I'll vomit the next time I read "Just use a stronger magazine spring"

Further one must note that proper magazine dimensions are only a beginning to proper functioning...You still have a long ways to go

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks Baxter for the info, and yes Duane, there is more to feeding than the mag box but I have your booklet on feeding, so I feel fairly confident tu2....and no! that was not a suck up Tom.

Roger