Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

model 70 rust
 Login/Join

posted
Hello. I have a new Featherweight LH 7wsm blue/wood and like everything about it....except traces of rust which keep showing up from under the bolt shroud and the saftey lever. I disassembled the bolt as per the manual and noticed no sign of rust there.I have kept it lubed and noticed no function problems but am concerned that down the road it may be a problem.
I suspect it is a result of poor bluing from the factory.
Is there a simple fix? Thanks
Bob in BC

Posts: 1 | Location: bc | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, the last three featherweights I've looked at on dealer shelves, here in Alberta, showed the same problem. I don't know what they've done to them!

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another reason to go stainless Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
May not be rust but a factory inhibitor (oil),
and if you didn't see rust on a take down, and use a good gun oil I don't see how it could be rust.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the same problem on two of my three model 70's. The rust is coming through the hole where the 3 pos safety engages the firing pin.

I tried spraying a bunch of solvent in there folowed by a bunch of rem oil. It's leaking rust again, though. I've done some reading and Dunlap says I need to disassemble and put gun grease on the safety.

Steve

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I thought Winchester had a recall on that part of the safety for the rust issue? I'm sure there was one on my SS Classic, but I never sent it in.