The trigger is very poor 4 lbs plus
No amount of adjustment helps
I installed a lighter spring
Any ideas or just look for a timney trigger
Thanks Sydney

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I got a mid 60's Finnbear recently and surprisingly the trigger is very crisp and I was able to lighten the pull. I didn't measure the pull weight, but probably 2.8-3 lbs now. Crisp, no creep, no over travel.

Have to referenced a resource for Sako Collectors? Lots of good threads on triggers.

Timney was going to be my next step, so a good choice.

Here's one thread I found on Sako Collectors. Trigger Adjust Vixen

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi Thanks for the help
I also posted on The Sako forum
Thanks Sydney

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, something is wrong. I had a Vixen with an excellent trigger. Rifle was stolen. Insurance replace the .222 with a 6mm PPC.
Look online; you should be able to find a copy of the manual with an exploded view of the trigger.
Get your hard Arkansas stone out and get ready to hone the sear.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi I soaked it and blew it out then lightly
oiled--readjusted the screw and I have a nice trigger---will shot it on wed
Thanks for the help
Sydney

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't help notice Austin Hunter's mention of "no over travel"

I've had long range shooters tell me there should be overtravel to avoid "hitting the curb" during a shot.

????

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told this by a friend who is undoubtedly a better shot than I and it made enough sense that I decided to try it and now set all my own triggers with generous over travel. The over travel is only apparent when dry firing, if then.
He had gotten this advice from Jim Cloward and said it particularly related to rapid-fire shooting.
Sadly, it seems it will take more than a change in trigger set-up to make me shoot better. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I've had long range shooters tell me there should be overtravel to avoid "hitting the curb" during a shot.

????

coffee
As someone who once played all the games, resigned himself to the fact that he was a shitty shot and struck out sideways in the field. I have always scratched my little pointed head with the greatest confusion and wonder as to why techniques and procedures that are considered first year apprentice knowledge, with the obsessive compulsive, perfectionist, little group club, are often totally unknown or simply ignored in the other disciplines of the game. After all, they all want the same thing? Which is, not to be hunting around the range looking for lost bullets. Right?

popcorn This is what happens when you work alone, in a small shop all day for 35 years. You get goofy and you think to much!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...well...guess so...if you say so

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that I have always liked a moderate amount of overtravel to avoid jerking downward. I learned this from my jet. The trigger to the cannon has a touch of overtravel for that very reason.

"Avoid hitting the curb." Yeah, that sounds about right.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Timney for Sako.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote