Find
Notify
Tools

re-boring question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
looking at a pre war mauser barrel with Muzz diam of .55 and chambered in 8mm.

is this enough to allow for a re-bore to 9.3mm?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
thanks, joe. currently chambered for 8x63 or 8mm-06. could the chamber be re-cut to just 8x64?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Not to sound obnoxious or anything but I find these questions are best posed to the person(s) you intend to have the work done by. While many people do this type of work they all have their personal preferences.

Why not rechamber to 8x68S? Smokin!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
currently chambered for 8x63 or 8mm-06. could the chamber be re-cut to just 8x64?

That might get you a 5% increase. Check with Wayne York:

oregunsmithing@earthlink.net

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You will end up with a very light barrel if you do. I like them somewhat bigger and heavier, and of modern chrome moly steel. But if you can handle the recoil, go for it.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider this:

I agree with z1r...talk to the one that will do it.

I talked to two re-borers about doing the same thing to a M98 8mm I picked up somewhere...one wouldn't do it citing problems with the barrel steel and the second suggested strongly it wasn't a good idea because of the same problems and he wouldn't guarantee his a successful outcome....basically depended on WHEN AND WHO cast the steel.

I ended up using a Lothar Walther 9.3 x62 chambered barrel sporter style #720 23.62," which was basically a screw on, check the headspace and go shooting.

Price wise it was a wash.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
You can get even a budget replacement barrel for not much more than $100.00 which may even be less than the cost of a re-bore and end up with a button rifled and air gaged bbl. I doubt if the average local smith capable of a re-bore can compete with that in any way. I use my old rotten Mauser bbls for tent pegs.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
You can get even a budget replacement barrel for not much more than $100.00 which may even be less than the cost of a re-bore and end up with a button rifled and air gaged bbl. I doubt if the average local smith capable of a re-bore can compete with that in any way. I use my old rotten Mauser bbls for tent pegs.

Sometimes however you have a barrel with features that cannot be duplicated for the cost of a budget or even premium barrel. If your rifle already has one of these barrels, then a rebore make a lot more sense.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had Dubell do a Mauser barrel that had a full rib and very nice iron sights. It went from 8mm to 9.3 and I chambered it in 9.3x62. It's sitting in the gunsafe, but I will habe a use for it some day.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
my concern is .55 may be too thin for 9.3

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It definitely is for me. Not from a safety standpoint but just too light a barrel, for me.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is much harder to shoot well offhand with a light barrel.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. It has turned my decision. I have long been stuck on z1r's mauser 338-06 which can be seen on the ongoing thread in the medium bore area. darn him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a G33/40 done by Chic Worthing I have. "It has an old commercial German take off barrel, that was rebored to .338 by Cliff Labounty of Maple Falls, Washington. Maurice Ottmar chambered the barrel in .338/06. The barrel is a half round/half octagon with a full length rib with an integral hold down on the barrel and an integral sling swivel stud."

This is what reboring is ideal for, the barrel was probably a 7 or 8mm and shot out.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
the barrel i was looking at was half round, half octagon with a .55 muzzle diameter and i was worried at 338-06 it would be too light.