New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 21 Rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm curious: Did Winchester ever make any double rifles on its Model 21 frame? Has anyone used Model 21 actions as the basis for conversion to a double rifle?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm sure I've seen pictures in an article somewhere showing double rifle 21's. I can't remember where, offhand. Perhaps some of our Winchester fans that post here can give us a few more details. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Yes, but no more than a handful. I once saw one in .405 Winchester, and do not know if any were made in any other calibers. Today, worth a king's ransome!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although not originally manufactured by Winchester as a rifle, here's an example of a Model 21 in .405 Winchester:

For more information, see:

http://www.dressels.com/id179.htm
and
http://www.dressels.com/id160.htm

-Bob F.

[This message has been edited by BFaucett (edited 03-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by BFaucett (edited 03-20-2002).]

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:
Although not originally manufactured by Winchester as a rifle, here's an example of a Model 21 in .405 Winchester.

That's a beautiful piece. Any idea what it might sell for?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
BFaucett, what a beauty!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Uhhh.... just so there's no confuson, the Model 21 double rifle in .405 (pictured above) isn't mine. I wish it was!!

It was the 1995 American Custom Gunmakers Guild Gun. For more information on the ACGG, see:
http://www.acgg.org/

from their web site:
"Each year a team of ACGG members is selected to create a firearm project to showcase to the public the quality of custom gunmaking art. These projects are inspired by either historically famous firearm components or guns or the specialties of team members.

One lucky person each year becomes the owner of an outstanding example of custom gunmaking. Someone who could only dream about owning such a firearm has the opportunity to win one for a $20 raffle ticket.

The drawing for the winning ticket is held each year at the Annual Exhibition in Reno. Ticket sales are limited to 4,000. The winner does not have to be present and is notified by phone. All state and federal laws apply. Ticket purchasers receive a color brochure."

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle this year was won by a gentleman from Maine who did not even own a rifle. He did have a shotgun and a pistol and intends to keep it. It was done in a .404 Jeffrey and he said he is going to start putting in for a Moose tag.

And this weekend at SCI, I saw a 21 Winchester made by Galazan in .22 rimfire. It was not finished but looked incredible. I did get some pictures and will post them.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You need to check closely. I don't believe the Galazan is made on the Winchester 21 action.

posted Hide Post
Winchester did build a prototype Model 21. They used a 20 ga frame with 26 inch barrels and was fitted with .405 caliber liners. The barrels had a raised matted rib, a three leaf rear sight and and ivory bead. With the technology at the time they were not able to regulate the barrels to their specifications and the project was dropped. Maybe it is time to resurect the project. The Winchester 21 is a great American shotgun and well suited as a double rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe my Winchester book states they built exactly two. One is in the museum in Cody on display (.405) and the other- lost to history.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once handled a 21 in .405, it was for sale at the time for $1000.00 Cdn. It was a while ago, as a guess the late 60s, I didn't have a $100 let alone a $1000. The owner however gave me a cartridge which I still have. It may not be as lost as it seems, an acquaintance of mine purchased it but has since passed away. Maybe I should try and sniff it out, would it be worthwhile $ ? - any ball park figure? --- John303.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John303,

Have no idea what the .405 M21 is worth ... but your remembrance reminds me of an auction I attended in abt 1970.

Double rifles were going to large dollars.

I stopped bidding on a mint condition Winchester M21 Grand American in a fitted case at $300. It went for $320.

My wife made a perfect expression of disapproval by elbow to the ribs. She was indeed correct, we simply didn't have the money. Never did blame her for penury ... but will always remember the disappointment.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have seem them in 30-06 and 9.3 x 76 R.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago a vendor at local gunshow had a Win.Mod.21 in of all calibers, 45Long Colt! Very handsome rifle, but to me a waste of a fine classic gun. No claim as it being factory of course, but custom built with liners and the price was several thousands of dollars. For the man who has everything.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Winchester did build a prototype Model 21. They used a 20 ga frame with 26 inch barrels and was fitted with .405 caliber liners. The barrels had a raised matted rib, a three leaf rear sight and and ivory bead. With the technology at the time they were not able to regulate the barrels to their specifications and the project was dropped. Maybe it is time to resurect the project. The Winchester 21 is a great American shotgun and well suited as a double rifle.

I saw this rifle at the Winchester museum when it was in New Haven back in the early sixties. According to the plaque on the display, this was one-of-a-kind.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote