New
Find
Notify
Tools

8.15X46R Rechamber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Although I have done a great deal of gunsmithing (stock building and metal work) I know nothing about rechambering. I own a beautiful Oberndorf Mauser 98 single shot rifle that some idgit sleeved the chamber and rechambered to 32-40 Win. This idgit did a terrible job on the chamber as it is rough and kind of wallowed out. I also consider the .320 bullet too large for the bore size. Before I consider rebarreling I would like to attempt to rechamber to 8X57JR (.318). The bore in this rifle is beautiful and proofs indicate lands of 7.7 and grooves of 8.05 (.316). I believe that the sleeve in the chamber is short enough that the 8X57JR chamber reamer would remove all traces of the sleeve. Is this feasable?

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to dpcd for the reply but I believe I indicated I would not rechamber unless all of the sleeve was removed. The substance of my question is: Will the 8X57JR (.318 bore) reamer properly enter the .316 bore? What do I need to know that I don't already know? I know nothing about chamber reamers.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you dpcd you finally answered my question.