Find
Notify
Tools

tight spots in barrel???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy,

I have a Rem. 700 rebarreled to .280 with an E.R. Shaw barrel. After 250 shots or so, I noticed tight spots in the barrel during cleaning. I took it to my gunsmith who confirmed the diagnosis and said don't worry about it, just shoot it. This was a 1/2 inch @ 100 yard rifle with good handloads, but now I'm lucky to get 1 inch groups. Should I junk the barrel and start over, or live with the thing "as-is?"

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coach,

I have a factory bbl on my Rem 300 Ultra, it too has a tight spot about 5" up the bore after shooting it a few times. I'm not sure if it's just rough there or what, but I use JB bore paste to clean it out smooth again every 20-30 rounds. I don't know if it's just tight ot rough, but it gets worse after it's shot. I can't feel a difference after I work on it with JB 20-40 strokes, it seems smooth and steady all the way to the muzzle and back again. I need to bore scope it and see. I just shot some half and three quater inch groups the other day with two different bullets so it doesn't appear to be much of a problem If I always start out with it real clean. Takes about 3 shots for it to settle in with a clean bbl or if I switch powders or bullets in between though.

Try some JB and see if it will get rid of it. Did the smith say exactly what he found and how he found it was tight bore and not powder and copper build up in a rough spot? The fact that it used to be a 1/2" grouper leads me to think it's built up on you for some horrifying reason.

I been using the JB every time to clean it with for the last couple hundred rounds now and it is building up less now than it was for sure, but it still does builds up. Good luck! I'm interested in what others have to say here too.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The accuracy will not change with that tight spot unless the tight spot is a couple inches from the muzzle, then you can cut the barrel back to the tight spot and crown it there. Other then that, if you are not happy with the accuracy junk the barrel and buy one from a company like Lilja that hand laps the bore to remove those tight spots.

Posts: 59 | Location: Upstate NY USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Coach Hunt
May I suggest using one of the fire lapping kits from Midway, Brownell's, etc. ,this may be the answer to the tight spot.
I've hand lapped every handgun barrel I have. This lapping has reduced my handgun barrel cleaning, leading to zip, nada. I clean my 45 Colts, 357 revolvers every other trip to the range with a wet patch all over to remove the carbon powder crude, throw the handgun into it's rug and that's it.
My rifle barrels sort of intimidated me, until I read more about the process. Plus all of the rifle barrels appeared to work well.
Until I purchased a Remington Sendero in 25-06 that would collect copper like a magnet collects iron fillings. I would have to clean every ten shots to even maintain, a minute of Wolly Mamouth, of accuracy. I bought the kit from Midway ran 10 course/heavy grit bullets down, cleaned the barrel, then 15 or 20 of the medium, cleaned, then 25 or 30 of the fine. This procedure reduced the required cleaning dramatically.
I figured, what the hell the barrel is a tent stake as it was so if I ruined what have I lost.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

And thanks for the replys. I have bore-scoped the barrel, it is spotless clean! I tried the JB compound and it just confirmed that the barrel itself has a flaw, and that is a tight spot. Actually there are two tight spots, one two inches in front of the chamber and the other about five inches in front of that one. Thanks again for the replys, but I just can't decide what to do.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Coach Hunt---

I think you've discovered why Shaw barrels are cheap and not usually used by top makers.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
As another poster suggested, fire lap it. You have nothing to lose. Be warned that fire lapping will accelerate throat erosion and wear in the barrel and will lead to early need for replacement of the barrel, but in the short term it will solve your concern. Fire lapping is the last resort before barrel replacement so you have little to lose and possibly much to gain.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Use Rob's FINAL FINISH( an improved/faster version of David Tubb's FINAL FINISH). Take a solid brass bullet and coat it with 60 grit tungsten carbide. Two shots and your done. The bore will be bright and no tight spots. No rifling either! Now order a good Lilja or Pac-Nor barrel . Of course you can skip part A and go directly to part B. There is a reason ER Shaw barrels are cheap and you've just found it!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How can you have a "tight" spot in a barrel????

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
beemanbeme--

Drilled holes are rippled in diameter. It's caused by torsional loads on the bit, lubrication, temperature and other factors. Reaming the hole takes about 95% of those variations out. The othere 5% is removed by lapping. Lapping takes time and cost money.....it also takes the skill and talent and experience of a sho nuff barrel maker to do right.

That's the difference in prices of new barrels.

That's also why, when I understood what the technology of automatic lapping could do for quality while cutting cost, I switched to Lothar-Walthar barrels.

They convinced me that piezeo-electric sensing was as sensitive as Harry Pope's fingers. [Smile]

I slugged the first dozen......it's boring, so I quit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just couldn't help myself....this is the third time I have read this thread and tried to shy away from it. How many more of you guys are going to prove you are idiots by ignoring the majority of responses about those Shaw barrels on this forum? Do you think we are putting Shaw down because it is personal. Pay attention; eventually you will get the message and stop wasting your money.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Thanks for ALL the replys.

Now Jim Kobe, as for proving that I am an idiot by using the Shaw barrel, seat yourself in the corner, say your sorry, and bite your tongue. It was a gift from my three well meaning sons. Now if you still want to consider me an idiot, I'm sure you can find some other use of your time.

Thanks again for the replys.

Coach

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think in your case idiot was a little too strong and I apologize. As for your sons, thank them profusely. I only meant to refer to the idiots who have read those threads and failed to heed the message. To make it up to you, I would agrre to fit up a new "good" barrel for free; only thing you need is shipping and cost of barrel and finish. This offer ain't good to the "idiots."

Sorry, every once in a while I make a statement that I am sorry for later.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I think in your case idiot was a little too strong and I apologize. As for your sons, thank them profusely. I only meant to refer to the idiots who have read those threads and failed to heed the message.

To make it up to you, I would agrre to fit up a new "good" barrel for free; only thing you need is shipping and cost of barrel and finish.

This offer ain't good to the "idiots."

Sorry, every once in a while I make a statement that I am sorry for later.

Jim

An offer made by a true gentleman!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Jim, I knew you were a true gentlemen! There was never any doubt in my mind. I only responded because I really thought I would have been an idiot NOT to have used the barrel!

Your offer is truly generous, and I will take you up on it, but with the understanding that I would only accept some discount, not a free job! It would have to be at your convenience, AND if you will email me, I would love your opinion on what barrel to replace this one with.

My email is coach@monstermuleys.com

Have a great day, and I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Coach