Find
Notify
Tools

Putting the cart before the horse with a m70
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have a replacement one piece bottom metal coming for the two piece model my G-Series was supplied with.

I can get a HS Precision barrel for a good price, a friend has about 30 of them and he told me he'd sell me whatever caliber I wanted for $300.

The two most appealing ones are a .416 1 in 14 and a .338 1 in 10 both in what I think is about a 6 or 7 contour.

As I look at my action I notice that it isn't cut for the 375 H&H as it is a standard 338. I didn't know they didn't cut them all that way.

So if I build a 416 Remington (for no reason other than I have hundreds of rounds of brass and bullets) how much work is involved for the Smith to open it up?

I also have a mountain of 338 bullets and some 338 Winchester brass and dies.

The current barrel isn't shooting as well as I'd like and before order a barrel I thought I'd check some options.

Option 1. 416 Ruger (the bullets aren't going away, might as well take advantage of them). Sell off the 416 Rem brass.

Option 2. 338 Winchester (or just spend $1000 and buy a Blaser barrel to make life easier).

Option 3. Pay for the conversion to long and go 416 Remington.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 416 Ruger (and the 375 Ruger) are so well thought out that they are "boring" Nothing can be improved, blown out, or shortened... therefore they are sort of ignored by the internet experts. They are plumb swell as is.

You MAY not have to do any tweaking to the action if you go with it.

Not sure why you'd want a #6 -7 contour???

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I've posted this many times; ALL post series long actions are the same (375) length, no matter what the caliber. All pre 64 actions are for the 30-06.
They need nothing to work with 375 length cartridges, except maybe some relief at the inside of the bridge area to eject loaded rounds, but usually not.
There is no "conversion" to pay for. I use and prefer the non CRF models; they feed much smoother. Many are confused about the original purpose of the claw extractor.
Mag boxes are all 375 length; they just spot welded spacers in them for shorter cartridges. Have to shorten the bolt stop.
I've built many of them on 375 length cartridges, using any and all post 64 long action; caliber don't matter. 270 is my favorite to use because I get a free pry bar or tent stake.
I know nothing about the 375 Ruger.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom and Duane, what is a good contour for a 416 Ruger or Remington if 6 or 7 is too fat?

It is going to get shot a lot, probably rarely at anything with big teeth or attitude. Elk, gemsbok, hogs, exotics, African plains game, and the maybe a buffalo or two of some variety.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ok, I've posted this many times; ALL post series long actions are the same (375) length, no matter what the caliber. All pre 64 actions are for the 30-06.
They need nothing to work with 375 length cartridges, except maybe some relief at the inside of the bridge area to eject loaded rounds, but usually not.
There is no "conversion" to pay for. I use and prefer the non CRF models; they feed much smoother. Many are confused about the original purpose of the claw extractor.
Mag boxes are all 375 length; they just spot welded spacers in them for shorter cartridges. Have to shorten the bolt stop.
I've built many of them on 375 length cartridges, using any and all post 64 long action; caliber don't matter. 270 is my favorite to use because I get a free pry bar or tent stake.
I know nothing about the 375 Ruger.

Tom and Duane, and all you other Gunmakers, Gunsmiths, and Armorers,

Thank you for the expertise you provide this forum.

I try not to always have the dumb question of the month, but sometimes I am sure that I am in the running for 2nd place.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is no dumb question, I have heard. Then what kind of questions do dumb people ask?
That is a joke, and certainly not aimed at you in any way.
Barrel contour? I use the 1930 Oberndorf contour, 90% of the time, and a lot of pre 64 Model 70s too, with the rear sight boss. Those make 8.5/9 pounders.
Anything else is just a common barrel contour that anyone can have.
It also depends on how heavy you like them. But a 6 or 7 contour will be a hog.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think DCPD is referring to the contour Lothar Walther calls 5130. The medium (.625 muzzle) makes a pretty well balanced 404/416.. If you put on iron sights, banded swivel...and who would not on a DGR, you'll add at least 6 ounces.

I happen to be working on a 404 with just such a set up...the completed barrel with furniture comes in at 2 lbs 14 oz.

Just for giggles, I weighed a 308 blank, same contour and it comes in without furniture just a shade over 3 lbs...

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely NOT!!! I do not and will not use LW barrels in any way, shape or form. I am referring to the 1930 Oberndorf pattern that I have and that I have Douglas make. .650 muzzle and weighs 2.8 pounds bare. Perfect for 400 Whelen which is the most popular caliber.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
An interesting cartridge if you roll your own is the 416 Howell.

Duplicates or exceeds the 416 Rem.

I built one many years ago on a Pre 64 M70.

Absolutely nothing required to make it feed nicely from the magazine.

Based on the 404 Jeffery case, you can use 375 Ultra cases. I have used both.

I have Ken Howell's original reamer, thanks to a generous gent in Alaska.

My reamer, go gauge, cartridges and mic on the left

416 Howell cartridges laying on the book. Yes, the case drawing is the 416 Howell.

I have loading data. And copies of Ken Howell's articles.

And I have a head stamp for putting the cartridge nomenclature on the case head. Africa legal!

Ken's goal was to duplicate 416 Rigby performance during a time when 416 Rigby components were unobtanium. He did so.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no dumb question, I have heard. Then what kind of questions do dumb people ask?
That is a joke, and certainly not aimed at you in any way.
Barrel contour? I use the 1930 Oberndorf contour, 90% of the time, and a lot of pre 64 Model 70s too, with the rear sight boss. Those make 8.5/9 pounders.
Anything else is just a common barrel contour that anyone can have.
It also depends on how heavy you like them. But a 6 or 7 contour will be a hog.

Yep. I have a 450 Dakota with a 26 inch No. 6 barrel, has a 1.300" breech diameter. Takes a Paul Bunyan to pack the rifle around.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely NOT!!! I do not and will not use LW barrels in any way, shape or form. I am referring to the 1930 Oberndorf pattern that I have and that I have Douglas make. .650 muzzle and weighs 2.8 pounds bare. Perfect for 400 Whelen which is the most popular caliber.

I do not like them either.

Douglas XX has always served me well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:

And I have a head stamp for putting the cartridge nomenclature on the case head. Africa legal!

Ken's goal was to duplicate 416 Rigby performance during a time when 416 Rigby components were unobtanium. He did so.

Cool idea!

But I want to be able to buy two boxes of ammo in Maun, Bulawayo, or Timbuktu.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey..my mistake..sorry!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

Cool idea!

Better stick to 375 H&H then!

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

Cool idea!

Better stick to 375 H&H then!

Yep, agree.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A no. 6or 7 contour is a nightmare IMO, You can expect to be on the lathe for 24 hours, and maybe plan on a warped barrel that will flip like fish out of water if your as handy on a lathe as I am..

Most of my 375 etc. have a #3 or #4 contour..and I think you can buy a Douglas for less than $300. and Brownells sells Lothar Walthars..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote