Find
Notify
Tools

404 in a M98 mag... 3 +1?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Ok, I'm looking to make up a 404J on a Columbian M98 as a work gun for Buffalo hunts. Now I have been told by the Smith that he is happy to work on the 30/06 Columbian and get it to feed the 404 well. The question is CAN I fit 3 rounds in the mag and slightly close the bolt over the rim of no3 and clip No 4 round onto the claw and chamber?
I can do this efficiently with my 458 and my ex 425 but not sure if this system of loading will work with the longer 404J?
What do you say?
Will be built to the same lines as the bottom 458Lott Rifle;

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a direct quote from Duane Wiebe on another thread.

"With 404, reliable feeding and function is not a slam dunk. Proper stack can only be obtained with a proper configured box and plenty of rail work, plus bolt and action mods, while at it a new follower."

Perhaps he will jump in here and explain it in more detail.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Oz Hunter's gunsmith has it under control.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Sounds like Oz Hunter's gunsmith has it under control.

Hi Duane, can a forth round be clipped in with not to much fuss or do I need your bottom metal? I have one of your in the 458Win and it's great

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ozhunter, you have a PM.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OZ: Well, the 404 bottom metal we make is cartridge specific and can hold down four with compression room to put another up the spout.

Exporting any gun part is now a real PIA, but can be done legally with additional fees to a broker. One part is not cost effective, but fee is same for one or ten. I never tried it, but perhaps your gunsmith can spread out the bottom of the box (trapezoid) to cheat in an extra round. Kinda Mickey Mouse....

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is how I think on the subject; three rounds of 404 is enough; why do you need five? If you have not got the job done in three (or 4) rounds then there is a problem. We use double rifles and single shots just fine, holding fewer rounds, don't we?

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should be no problem to have 4+1 in .404Jeffery.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Without changing or altering the box it is a big problem. There isn't room for 4 rounds down.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
My 404J on a standard M98 action takes 3 down 1 up. It takes about 3 and a half down so quick and easy to chamber the 4th from the top of the magazine which by the way has the standard follower. The spring seems quite soft in my 404 magazine which makes for a butter smooth and reliable feed. Don't know if the spring was modified but the follower and bolt are highly polished, almost a chrome like finish and this contributes to an exceptional smooth feed.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I think Phil has 4 down with a standard factory bottom metal with the sides and front of the magazine walls removed.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
Eagle57, that's the answer I was looking for.
I want at least 3 down with the ability to slide the fourth in

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Thanks guys.
Eagle57, that's the answer I was looking for.
I want at least 3 down with the ability to slide the fourth in

Oz, just a word in respect of getting a smooth feed from the magazine. I received my Mauser from Africa after it had been opened up for the 404J cartridge and it was a real pig when feeding from the magazine, stiff and scratching the hell out of the cases. I slung the barrel over my shoulder and carefully observed a feed from the magazine and could see immediately that the case head was being held up from slipping up onto the bolt face until way too late by the toe or heal of the extractor. A little stoning of the toe of the extractor was magic (see photo below). I think this could be an important step in getting a good feed when using a standard M98 action for the 404J, a task which seems some do struggle with. After my little tweak to the extractor I have had flawless feeding and extraction with absolutely no sign of scratching on the cases.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anybody recommend a smith in the states that can do a 3+1 404 Jeffery on a factory commercial or military 98 bottom metal?

Posts: 181 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not and guarantee the results. This is not an "on the cheap project." You are best served by getting the proper bottom metal and magazine, and then throwing $100.00 bills at your gunsmith. (Hint: Don't hire someone who has not done this before.)

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote