THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    How does the Ruger safety compare to the Winchester classic?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does the Ruger safety compare to the Winchester classic?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are they both Sear block? Can both actions be field stripped without tools? Are the Rugers True CRF?

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Ruger locks the trigger(safety blocks trigger movement) . Wing safety in the full rear position fits in a notch on the cocking piece effectively locking that. Winchester locks the firing pin only. Winchester is easily field strippable..you will need a small finish nail to strip the Ruger down.

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the dissasembly of the bolt and firing pin, and the true CRF function. I had heard that they have a claw extractor that "looks" like CRF but is not actually a real CRF action.

Thanks for the safety update

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Same tool that will disassemble a Remington bolt will work on a ruger bolt. Can't help you on the Winchester at all. The Ruger is a CRF you can drop a round in the chamber and then close the bolt over it. BTW I enjoy reading your posts concerning the 30-06 and the 165 grain interbond. Maybe someone else can chime in on disassembling the bolt shroud/firing pin on a Winchester.

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my PF Mod.70, it's very easy. Cock the bolt in the rifle, put wing safety on half (middle position, remove the bolt from the rifle,
push in the little locking plunger on the front left of the bolt shroud then unscrew the whole thing.
With the fireing pin out the bolt can now be reinserted into the rifle to test feeding of live rounds etc.
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ: The old Rugers with the tang safety have the claw extractor, but they are push feed. The new ones are CRF. To disassemble the Ruger, insert a small finish nail or punch in a hole that is drilled in the cocking piece. Then the shroud and firing pin will unscrew.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post